Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jo Kendal 32 posts 194 karma points
    Oct 20, 2016 @ 11:24
    Jo Kendal

Managing VERY large file uploads

Hi, got a project that requires VERY large file uploads - namely video files. I am hoping some Umbraco brother or sister can give me a steer here?

I found something called NeatUpload, but also found very little on this within Umbraco - apart from 'it doesn't work on IIS7' post some time ago.

I also found some articles around Asynchronous techniques such as this one:

https://dotnetriders.wordpress.com/articles/how-to-upload-and-download-files-asynchronously-using-asp-net-mvc-4-5/

If I get this cracked with a good solution I'll post up a full article to the forum.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 20, 2016 @ 11:44
    Sebastiaan Janssen

My advise would be: this is not what Umbraco is for. :-)

I would manage my video files in an online provider that's really good at managing videos like Vimeo or YouTube. Then you can always link up the videos in your Umbraco content afterwards.

Oct 20, 2016 @ 11:48
    Jo Kendal

The issue in this case is that these files cannot be uploaded to a public server, otherwise I would agree entirely.

The files need to be uploaded via a website and then processed by a service outside of Umbraco which will then return to Umbraco with a post of data to a callback url.

Oct 20, 2016 @ 12:39
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Okay, just so you know: Vimeo has the ability to keep all your videos private, I think youtube does as well!

Oct 20, 2016 @ 12:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

So.. the data that gets sent back to the callback URL, I presume, is the processed video? Wouldn't it be possible to upload the video directly to the third party service?

Oct 20, 2016 @ 16:04
    Jo Kendal

Hi, thanks for your engagement in this issue, really appreciated.

The callback url will only post data back regarding the file uploaded and create a content node with this data included for users to review on advisement that such content is now processed - via an email.

The third party won't store the file, it will process and discard.

• Axel Barth 3 posts 74 karma points
    Nov 16, 2016 @ 16:11
    Axel Barth

Hi Jo,

we have done something very similar, for our own needs.

So, if you are still searching for a solution to upload, manage and integrate large videos in Umbraco CMS, get in touch!

We built a plug-in for that.

Best regards,

Axel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft