Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raúl 7 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 26, 2016 @ 18:37
    Raúl

Load-Balancing and Umbraco administration

Hi all, I know that the recomendation for Umbraco load-balanding systems is to allow the request of /umbraco administration only for one of the servers balanced, but I would like to balance the administration too, so, why that recomendation? what is the reason? and someone has ever done it?

Thanks a lot!

• Jason Vickers 21 posts 115 karma points
    Nov 03, 2016 @ 00:47
    Jason Vickers

Let's say you have the following setup, staging to production (load-balanced).

StagingServer

->Load Balancer

Prod1 Prod2 Prod3

Your courier setup would normally connect to Prod1, from StagingServer When you perform a sync to Prod1, a DB entry is added that a sync was performed. Prod2 and Prod3 polls for those changes and if there was a change, they pick up sync and process accordingly. (This is a very loose explanation, if someone would like to expand on it, please feel free)

Is your environment set up differently?

If not, here is my option on the matter:

There is no reason (except to potentially delete content,), that you would ever want to make changes on production without first making the on dev/staging and syncing to production. Otherwise, your environments would be out of sync. The problem with what your proposing can cause 3 issues: 1. Going through the load-balancer, if you are on a standard round-robin configuration, you don't know what server you are going to hit, 2: If you make changes on one Prod server, you have to republish on subsequent servers to ensure that the changes show up, 3: You are now out of sync with dev and staging servers.

Moral of the story, I would stay out of the Umbraco admin on Prod unless, you are troubleshooting, or need to delete content.

Granted, this is all based on my experience.

Jan 17, 2017 @ 17:06
    Raúl

Thanks for your response!

I have the Umbraco administration balanced in my production environment (two different server instances). The load-balancer is configured to access 50-50 to the servers so sometimes a server request is being responded by server01 and sometimes by server02. The frontend website is responding well, but I am having too many issues with the administration; for example:

I am changing a specific content > "Save and publish".

Then I navigate to the frontend website and sometimes I read the new content and sometimes I read the old content (the database is shared by both server instances and it is placed in a different server). As the database server is the same I think the only explanation for the problem is about the instances server01/02 caches.

¿there is a way to manage the Umbraco server cache in that kind of load-balancer system?

Thanks!

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 17, 2017 @ 19:05
    Paul Sterling

@Raúl -

It's really not possible to load balance the Umbraco backoffice in a safe and supportable way. The main reason is that Umbraco does not currently use database level locking so there is no way to ensure data integrity during a transaction. At some point, almost for certain, you will encounter data corruption and that could negatively affect your site's front end as well.

I encourage you to follow the load balancing guide in the docs closely and to not load balance the backoffice (admin) instances - it will most likely lead you down a dark path with untold trouble ;-)

Here's the official statement from HQ https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/load-balancing/#faqs

Jan 19, 2017 @ 08:28
    Raúl

Ok, Thanks @Paul.

Yes, I read that umbraco statement before buy I wanted to find someone who had the same problem as me.

It's really a pity not be able to load balance the Umbraco backoffice. Many applications, as my current project, that use multi-language with many administrators will suffer this inconvenience.

I hope in the future this will be a improvement in next Umbraco versions.

Thaks a lot for your response!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft