Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mangirish Wagle 34 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 09, 2016 @ 06:51
    Mangirish Wagle

Calling Vorto Property Values inside Model and Controller in Umbraco

Hello,

Till Now, I have implemented Vorto property values inside a View file (.cshtml) for a multilingual project by using...

@using Our.Umbraco.Vorto.Extensions

and then...

@Model.Content.GetVortoValue("propertyAlias");

Just wanted to know to implement or call Vorto Property Values inside a Model or Controller.

Regards,

Mangirish

• Claus Jensen 49 posts 157 karma points hq
    Nov 09, 2016 @ 07:52
    Claus Jensen

Hi Mangirish,

You can access Vorto values the same way as you would do in your view. IPublishedContent (which is what you're using in your views) is also what you should be using in your controllers:

var value = Umbraco.TypedContent(1).GetVortoValue("alias", "cultureName");

Nov 09, 2016 @ 08:32
    Mangirish Wagle

Hello Claus.

Thanks very much! So you mean that we have to use strongly typed content to get the values. but, is it necessary to add... using Our.Umbraco.Vorto.Extensions

before using this?

Please guide further.

Regards,

Nov 09, 2016 @ 09:25
    Claus Jensen

You should always aim for using strongly typed content if you can :)

...and just in case you were doing this; don't ever use the ContentService.GetByXxxx for fetching content to use in rendering - that one works directly with the database and not the cached content and should only be used when you need to actually update things!

Regarding the using statement, Visual Studio should help you adding the right using statements needed as long as you have the Vorto DLLs referenced in the project where you are trying to use it. I think it might just need a using statement for Our.Umbraco.Vorto ... I'm not completely sure as I don't have a project right here using Vorto so these things are a bit from memory.

Nov 09, 2016 @ 12:05
    Mangirish Wagle

Hello Claus,

Some developments from my side. Added reference for dll and used it inside my controller by using this directive....

using Our.Umbraco.Vorto.Extensions;

Secondly, used this according to my understandings that (1) stands for (node_id) and "alias" stands for "propertyAlias"

var value = Umbraco.TypedContent(node_id).GetVortoValue("propertyAlias", "cultureName");

Just some more suggestions needed from your side please, as I am novice in MVC....

Previously just a string was printed in this manner...

TempData["Message"] = "Sample Text";

How to print the value of variable instead of "Sample Text"

Please help me further.

Regards,

Mangirish

Nov 09, 2016 @ 12:31
    Claus Jensen

Yes - those assumptions are correct. CultureName is optional in case you didn't notice ... I think it will use the current culture if nothing is specified but you can play around with that until it does what you want.

On how to pass data from your controller to your view, this is really just basic MVC stuff. I would recommend that you take a look at some of the many MVC tutorials out there as they do a very good job at describing how to construct your model in your controller and then pass this to a View and have it rendered. This is not as such very Umbraco-related so any tutorial should give you an idea of how this works.

Take a look at the Using a Model to pass information to our View part of this article, which is showing how to deal with models and views:

https://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/older-versions/mvc-music-store/mvc-music-store-part-3

When you got your head around that, I suggest you read through:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/templating/mvc/

and the Controllers and Custom Routing parts here:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Implementation/

Nov 09, 2016 @ 13:16
    Mangirish Wagle

Hello Claus,

Just for your information, I am trying to explain this issue in more brief.

enter image description here

This is the property name Page Title whose alias "pageTitle" I am trying to access in a controller via page(node) whose node_id is 1050, due to which the command becomes as follows..

var value = Umbraco.TypedContent(1050).GetVortoValue("pageTitle", "cultureName");

after this I entered (as per Trial and Error)

TempData["Message"] = View(value);

which returns

System.Web.Mvc.ViewResult

in the view output.

If I am closer to the solution here, please suggest how to get onto the conclusion so that the Japanese text corresponding to Page Title is displayed in view.

Regarding the links, I am going through it to get to the solution.

Cheers,

Mangirish

Nov 09, 2016 @ 20:09
    Claus Jensen

TempData is not really the way you are supposed to pass around data to your views. Also - I'm not really sure what you are trying to do by assigning View(value) to TempData... that would not really do you any good.

Make sure to go through the tutorials and documentation I've linked - you really need the basic knowledge of how to work with MVC, create a model class that corresponds to your view, populate it with the data you need and then pass it on to the view. You should get the hang of all this before you start trying to implement it in your Umbraco solution.

You should also make sure to take note of the parts about route hijacking with controllers when you read the Umbraco documentation, since I think that will be what you need.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft