Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simone Chiaretta 134 posts 541 karma points c-trib
    Dec 08, 2016 @ 21:18
    Simone Chiaretta

Best way to add yyy/mm/dd to a url via UrlProvider

In order to add a yyyy/mm/dd in the middle of a url we need to implement a custom Url provider.

There a nice sample online Modify Umbraco URLs with the UrlProvider and ContentFinder.

This code sample has a fault tho: it always returns relative urls, no matter which UrlProviderMode is passed in, so it doesn't work when an Absolute url is requested.

To avoid reimplementing all the logic of the default URL provider, which is the best solution?

The solution I implemented inherits from DefaultUrlProvider and as first thing it asks its Url and then it does some simple string replacement and concatenation to add the yyyy/mm/dd part in the middle of the url.

Here the code that does the trick

public override string GetUrl(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, int id, Uri current, UrlProviderMode mode)
        {
            var originalContent = base.GetUrl(umbracoContext, id, current, mode);
            var content = umbracoContext.ContentCache.GetById(id);
            if (content != null && (content.DocumentTypeAlias == "ArticulateRichText" || content.DocumentTypeAlias == "ArticulateMarkdown") && content.Parent != null)
            {
                var date = content.GetPropertyValue<DateTime>("publishedDate");
                if (date != null)
                {
                    var urlFolder = String.Format("{0}/{1:d2}/{2:d2}", date.Year, date.Month, date.Day);
                    originalContent = originalContent.Replace("/" + content.UrlName, "/" + urlFolder + "/" + content.UrlName);
                    return originalContent;
                }
            }
            return null;
        }

It works, but not sure it's be way. But since I also need to generate absolute urls, I wanted to avoid implementing all the possible cases.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Dec 09, 2016 @ 10:05
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Simone,

If an absolute URL is request can't you just strip it and turn it into a relative URL?

The examples from the 24 days blog are a bit outdated. For the 1-1 multilingual example I've also created a UrlProvider and ContentFinder. Maybe those are better examples to use. They use the DomainService.

https://github.com/jbreuer/1-1-multilingual-example/blob/master/Sources/Umbraco.Extensions/UrlProviders/MultilingualUrlProvider.cs

https://github.com/jbreuer/1-1-multilingual-example/blob/master/Sources/Umbraco.Extensions/ContentFinders/MultilingualContentFinder.cs

Jeroen

• Simone Chiaretta 134 posts 541 karma points c-trib
    Dec 09, 2016 @ 10:39
    Simone Chiaretta

I'm afraid I cannot.

If the Content.UrlAbsolute is called, the caller expects an absolute URL.

For example when rendering the metadata for open graph or in RSS feeds or for Disqus integration

Both samples don't return it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft