Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michele 10 posts 90 karma points
    Dec 22, 2016 @ 19:58
    Michele

Sync AD users as Umbraco members

Hi, I am quite new to Umbraco and I need to deploy an on premises Umbraco instance in an intranet scenario, to be used as a News portal. That means that I am using Windows Authentication to identify users (~4000 overall), without the need for a login form, so far so good.

One of the requirements is to present the most relevant news depending on the region the user belongs to.

I was thinking to some kind of scheduled job that creates/updates/deletes members (having a custom MemberType with an additional Region property) in Umbraco, so that, when the user browse the site, I can retrieve, through the API, the region of a particular user. In this way I can isolate the access to Active Directory to the job, that can be scheduled at time when the load is not relevant. Basically, I am thinking to something similar to the SharePoint user profile sync.

Having an extensive experience with SharePoint, I know the kind of pain related to the synchronization of the users, so I am not totally convinced of this solution, especially when it comes to updates/deletion of users.

An alternative could be to use AD Memberships (each user has a regional AD group it belongs to), but that would mean a very frequent access to AD.

Did anyone implemented something similar, or could you think of something smarter than this? Thanks, M

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft