Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Masey 39 posts 253 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 03, 2017 @ 10:04
    Mike Masey

Custom send to publish notification emails

Hello fellow Umbracians,

I'm facing an issue at the moment where i am trying to improve the emails produced by the NotificationService when using Send To Publish.

At the moment the standard emails is OK until it has to display Nested Content modules (as an example). At the moment it just returns JSON data, which as a developer is fine, but for our client not so much.

I'm trying to find a way to intercept this data in order to make it more readable but i can't seem to find anything. The closest i have found so far was some information from this article http://www.felinesoft.com/blog/replacing-umbraco-services-notification-service/ and by looking at the source code for the NotificationSevice and related code.

I'm getting a better basic understanding of how it works, but not on how to extend/intercept it, without potentially disabling the Umbraco notifications entirely and doing them all for scratch.

Has anyone had any experience with this.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would also like to try and improve the way Nested Content is displayed when using the Rollback feature but this is probably a different thing entirely.

• Karl Tynan 16 posts 151 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Apr 23, 2020 @ 12:52
    Karl Tynan

This might not be totally relevant, but I needed to know this and could be helpful for others in the future...

The code for these emails is within the lang files inside Umbraco. I tried to change the surrounding content for send to publish notifications and found that you can create your own user language files: ~/Config/Lang/en-US.user.xml

Reference: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Extending/Language-Files/#user-language-files

Inside the user XML file, you can then override a key:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <language>
        <area alias="notifications">
            <key alias="mailBodyHtml">Hello from Karl Tynan</key>
        </area>
    </language>

This doesn't, however, allow you to edit or format the data that is passed into the email.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft