Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damien Holley 179 posts 540 karma points
    Apr 24, 2017 @ 09:28
    Damien Holley

Send email from backoffice

Please do not suggest newsletter as only sending to 20 people is not an option (as is paying $1000 a year).

I just need to be able to send an email to all the people on a node. I can do this from the front-end, and obviously the backoffice is more than capable of doing this, But there are only a couple of solutions in the backend I could find.

Perplex and Newsletter.

Perplex looks like it is exactly what I want, but I cannot find a send button (excepting the 'test send' button which works exactly as it should)

Am I going to have to make my own plugin to do this?

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2017 @ 09:43
    Damiaan

Hi,

You have lots of relay providers like SparkPost and mailchimp which are free to use for a small number of e-mails.

To send e-mail from code simply call the standard .net SmtpClient. To use this class, you only need to add a SMTP server (and credentials) to your web.config.

If this does not answers your question, can you please elaborate a littlebit more on what you exactly want?

Kind regards

Apr 24, 2017 @ 10:26
    Damien Holley

I have already got SMTP setup, what I need is to send the email from the backoffice not the frontend.

I do not wish to have to create my own plugin/section to do this as Umbraco is already capable of doing it.

Apr 24, 2017 @ 10:28
    Damiaan

OK. Then what kind of e-mail do you want to send on what event?

Apr 24, 2017 @ 10:45
    Damien Holley

basically if I could use perplex it would be good, but no send button on the backoffice area.

I just need to attach a file and send to a client list (opt in) when a backoffice user decides to send out a bulk email to the subscribers.

IE: the User pushes a button in the backoffice and it sends the bulk email.

Apr 24, 2017 @ 20:33
    Damiaan

Cool. Then why don't you use perplex from a dashboard? Pretty sure that would work.

Apr 25, 2017 @ 00:45
    Damien Holley

I have been trying to, but there is no send button. Or do you mean make something else that uses perplex?

ie: make a new section?

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 26, 2017 @ 07:02
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Damien,

thank you for checking out our Perplexmail-package. The package is created to give your editors an easy way to modify your emails, easily test your e-mails, personalize your emails by using tags and giving a dashboard with an oversight of all sent mails, open and click percentages, and the possibility to resend them and have some statistics.

The idea of sending the mail is that you call some C# function after a certain event happens (a contactform is posted, a scheduler is triggered, or something else). Currently you can not send an email directly from the backoffice to a list of emailadresses, because it is meant to triggered from some sort of event, but you could misuse the "Send testmail"-functionality if you want.

Hope this answer helps a bit, happy coding!

Jeffrey

p.s.: The function call is pretty straightforward as you can see in the documentation. Just call something like this:

List<PerplexMail.EmailTag> listOfTags = new List<PerplexMail.EmailTag>();
    listOfTags.Add(new PerplexMail.EmailTag(‘to’,’[email protected]’)); // Refers to tag [#to#]
    listOfTags.Add(new PerplexMail.EmailTag(‘[#firstname#]’,’Jeffrey’)); // In code, [# and #] are optional
    listOfTags.Add(new PerplexMail.EmailTag(‘message’,’Cool package!’));
    // Build a list of attachments
    List<PerplexMail.Attachment> listOfAttachments = new List<PerplexMail.Attachment>();
    listOfAttachments.Add(new PerplexMail.Attachment(1244)); // Umbraco media node id
    listOfAttachments.Add(new PerplexMail.Attachment(‘C:/Order-1234.pdf’)); // Freshly generated order
    PerplexMail.Email.SendUmbracoEmail(1024, listOfTags,listOfAttachments); // Send the email with node
    ID 1024

Apr 26, 2017 @ 08:12
    Damiaan

the markdown parser strips out quotes i guess :-)

Apr 26, 2017 @ 09:45
    Damien Holley

Cheers for the quick reply, Jeffrey. I did indeed check the docs and found the above code which I implemented in a section in the backoffice.

I will hopefully make it shiny enough and package it up so anyone using your package can use it as well just to enable sending/reviewing from the backoffice.

Been playing with perplex a bit, very nice piece of work!

Cheers again, Damien

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 26, 2017 @ 10:03
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Damien,

thank you for your feedback! If you have anything to show, please send me some screenshots. I'm always curious what people do with our packages :)!

Jeffrey

Apr 25, 2017 @ 13:38
    Damiaan

I mean "make something else that uses perplex".

kind regards
    Damiaan

Apr 25, 2017 @ 14:26
    Damien Holley

Cheers for the info Damiaan,

I wanted to avoid creating a section (mostly because of all the angular rubbish) but have done so now, I will attempt to make it into a package so others can use it.

regards, Damien Holley

Apr 25, 2017 @ 14:32
    Damiaan

Nice to hear to have a solution!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft