Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• K.Garrein 164 posts 629 karma points
    May 23, 2017 @ 15:11
    K.Garrein

Programmaticly set a file upload property

Hey.

I've searched the forum but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I need to programmaticly set a file upload property, but I can't figure out how to do it...

The file is already uploaded to the server from the public website, but I need to get it in the media section in the backoffice.

I have found multiple examples online, but they all have a newMedia.SetValue method that has 3 parameters. Intellisense only gives me 2 parameters:

void Umbraco.Core.Models.IContentBase.SetValue(string propertyTypeAlias, object value);

I tried using a file- and memorystream as the value parameter, but that didn't work either...

My code (stores the file path in the media object in stead of the actual file :) ):

string path = System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPath( "~/Uploads" );
    string filePath = System.IO.Path.Combine( path, "test.pdf" );
    var mediaType = Constants.Conventions.MediaTypes.File;
    var newMedia = mediaSvc.CreateMedia( "test.pdf", -1, mediaType );
    newMedia.SetValue( Constants.Conventions.Media.File, filePath ); 
    mediaSvc.Save( newMedia );

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    May 23, 2017 @ 16:31
    John Bergman

If you strongly type newMedia, instead of var, you will see a 3-parameter version that takes a filestream as the third parameter. I looked through one of the other media packages to find out how they did it.

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    May 23, 2017 @ 16:41
    MuirisOG

Not sure if you can translate my vb.net into c#, but you are welcome to have a go if you'd like me to post my code here.

EDIT: Just about to leave, so here is the vb.net code anyway.

' this function is called in a for each loop and programmatically adds each image individually
            Public Shared Function importSingleImage(pImage, pTitle, pDescription, pTitleCY, pDescriptionCY) As Integer
                'note: pImage consists of a filename like "/images/myfile.jpg"
                '========== Start initialization of services needed ==============
                Dim cts As IContentTypeService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentTypeService
                Dim cs As IContentService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentService
                Dim fs As IFileService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.FileService
                Dim dts As IDataTypeService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.DataTypeService
                Dim ms As IMediaService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.MediaService
                '========== End initialization of services needed ==============

'========== start - get the startnode for the first image ===========
                'note: make sure orgImage media type is set up first as this is the media type used here
                Dim mt As Integer = cts.GetMediaType("Folder").Id
                Dim m As IEnumerable(Of IMedia)
                m = ms.GetMediaOfMediaType(mt)

Dim orgMediaStartNode As Integer

'get the startnode for media in the Media Section
                'Note: the if statement should be done as shown below as otherwise it takes forever
                '      i.e. just look for "orgContentImages", which I set up earlier in the media section
                For Each med As IMedia In m
                    If med.Name = "orgContentImages" Then
                        If med.Trashed = False Then
                            orgMediaStartNode = med.Id
                        End If
                    End If
                Next
                '========== end - get the startnode for the first image ===========

'- set up a log file
                Dim path As String = "~/_org/" & DateTime.Today.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd") & ".txt"
                If (Not System.IO.File.Exists(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(path))) Then
                    System.IO.File.Create(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(path)).Close()
                End If

'Steps to using a network location, which is where my files were stored
                ' 1) set up a share on the server folder containing the images
                ' 2) grant permissions on that folder to the network user you want to impersonate
                ' 3) you may need to add the impersonation directive to the web.config for the user you want to impersonate
                Dim imgFilePath As String = "\\myserver\" + System.Web.HttpUtility.UrlDecode(pImage.Replace("/", "\"))

'newImage is a media type for an image file, which uses a media type I created called "orgImage"
                Dim newImage As Media = ms.CreateMedia(pTitle, orgMediaStartNode, "orgImage")

Dim byteData As Byte()
                Try
                    byteData = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(imgFilePath)
                Catch
                    ''log an error
                    Using w As StreamWriter = System.IO.File.AppendText(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(path))
                        w.WriteLine(Microsoft.VisualBasic.Constants.vbCrLf & "orgImport Log Entry (importSingleImage): ")
                        w.Write("{0}", DateTime.Now.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture))
                        w.WriteLine(" - Not Found: " & pImage)
                    End Using
                    ''return a zero which indicates that the media item wasn't created
                    Return 0
                End Try

Dim imgStream As System.IO.MemoryStream = New MemoryStream(byteData)
                newImage.SetValue("umbracoFile", pImage, imgStream)

'other properties - note I've created my own media type
                'English fields
                newImage.SetValue("en_gb_title", pTitle)
                newImage.SetValue("en_gb_description", pDescription)
                'Welsh fields
                newImage.SetValue("cy_gb_title", pTitleCY)
                newImage.SetValue("cy_gb_description", pDescriptionCY)

Try
                    ms.Save(newImage)
                Catch
                    ''TRACE
                    Using w As StreamWriter = System.IO.File.AppendText(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(path))
                        w.WriteLine(Microsoft.VisualBasic.Constants.vbCrLf & "orgImport Log Entry : Umbraco can't save this file! ")
                        w.WriteLine("User ID: " & System.Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name)
                        w.WriteLine("{0}", DateTime.Now.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture))
                        w.WriteLine("oldImage: " & imgFilePath & "  oldImageDesc: " & pDescription & "  oldImageDescCY: " & pDescriptionCY)
                        w.WriteLine("__________________________")
                    End Using
                    ''END TRACE
                    Return 0
                End Try

'return the media id to the calling function
                Return newImage.Id

End Function

• K.Garrein 164 posts 629 karma points
    May 24, 2017 @ 06:33
    K.Garrein

Thanks guys!!!

The strongly typed "IMedia newMedia" (in stead of "var newMedia") did the trick.

Kind regards.

K.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft