Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• iand123 23 posts 53 karma points
    Jun 14, 2017 @ 08:25
    iand123

Customising content order in Backend

Hi

I am building a website for a recruitment agent and when someone applies for a job i want to save the details (name, contact details and a CV upload) into a content type in the backend so that they can be viewed by the members by logging into the backend. I plan to do this by creating a content type and adding a new piece of content for every upload.

First question - is this a dumb idea?

Second question - can i customise the order they will display in the content tree? for example show the most recently uploaded application first?

Ian

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 14, 2017 @ 09:17
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ian,

I assume this data only needs to be visible in the backend and it won't be published on the website.

Personally I would store the data in a database table for several reasons :

• You won't pollute your content tree with content that is not meant to be displayed on the website
    • You prevent editors from accidently publishing a entry and making it visible on the website
    • If some kind of spam bot finds your form it can create a lot of content items in the tree and eventually slow down your application

So what you need are several things.

Or you can maybe use this package : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/ui-o-matic/

Dave

Jun 14, 2017 @ 09:44
    iand123

Thanks for the advice, i'll take a read of those articles and look to change my approach accordingly

Jun 14, 2017 @ 09:44
    Dave Woestenborghs

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Dave

Jun 14, 2017 @ 09:55
    iand123

Do you know if UIOMatic works with Mysql? Or is it just SQL Server? It doesnt explicitly say as far as i can see

Jun 14, 2017 @ 10:08
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ian,

Never tried Umbraco with MySql. But I assume it works because it uses the same database layer as Umbraco.

Dave

• Phil Atkinson 51 posts 244 karma points
    Jun 14, 2017 @ 12:25
    Phil Atkinson

Umbraco with mySQL (or AWS aurora) works fine

Jun 14, 2017 @ 12:27
    iand123

I have Umbraco working with MySQL so i guess it will work fine. From a brief look through the code on github i think it will work regardless of db platform but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure :)

• Phil Atkinson 51 posts 244 karma points
    Jun 14, 2017 @ 09:46
    Phil Atkinson

"can i customise the order" - you can do this. We ended up changing umbraco's code to only do this for a particular content type, there may be a better way to do it though

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft