Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mathias Andreasen 43 posts 155 karma points
    Jul 14, 2017 @ 09:31
    Mathias Andreasen

Official documentation/tutorial on how to create a custom section?

Is there any official documentation on how to create a Custom Section in Umbraco? And I'm talking from start to finish and not the very thin documetnation you can find at https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Extending/

Im talking a comprehensive guide, How do you setup a custom section? How does the TreeController actually work. How Do I create a plugin? Multiple plugins in the same section?

I feel the documenation really lacks this.

If you have created a custom section with Umbraco 7.3.1, please tell me me how you did It!

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2017 @ 11:56
    Anders Bjerner

Hi Mathias,

I agree that the official documentation perhaps is a bit limited regarding sections and trees.

Anyways, last year I wrote an article for Skrift.io about sections and trees in Umbraco. The article and it's code examples are written and tested against Umbraco 7.4.3, but as far as I remember, the same code should work in Umbraco 7.3.1.

http://skrift.io/articles/archive/sections-and-trees-in-umbraco-7/

• Damien (Slipoch) 62 posts 346 karma points
    Jul 17, 2017 @ 04:29
    Damien (Slipoch)

Most of the tutorials about this are woeful (Ander's tute above is probably the best, it's the one I used the most)

Be aware, you will be forced to use angular and 90% of all the information out there assumes you will using a treenode structure.

Be aware the tutorials will not spell anything out or explain reasoning as to why particular methods are used, also some of them assume you already know how to do it and skip bits of information (like where to put a particular function) As before, Anders' one is better than most for explanation.

Also be wary, a lot of tutorials (and some of the documentation) reference functions and ways of doing things that are quite old and often deprecated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft