Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Taylor 8 posts 79 karma points
    Oct 06, 2017 @ 12:54
    Paul Taylor

Custom Property Editor - Content from external source

Hi There

I was hoping for a few pointers.

I have a situation where in my Umbraco site I need to provide content editors with a DataType which allows them to drill into and select some content from another source.

I envisage that I need to create a custom Property Editor. That property editor would allow me to create a datatype, and specify the source of the external data.

That external data would be an XML document (could be JSON).

In the Umbraco content section, when interacting with this data type, I want the user to presented with a tree view, like the Content Picker or MNTP which is populated based on the hierarchy of nodes in the XML document.

The user can then simply drill into the tree and pick a node.

What I will persist is the ID of the node they have selected.

Can someone give me some broad brushstrokes on how I would do this?

I have been looking at custom property editor tutorials, and also tutorials around using the MNTP, but I can't see how to feed nodes which aren't from my Umbraco instance into those pickers.

I know I will need a UmbracoAuthorizedJsonController class, which can pull in the XML document and return nodes.

Is there any existing package which does something similar which I could look at and adapt for my own purpose?

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Oct 06, 2017 @ 13:24
    Oct 06, 2017 @ 13:28
    Paul Taylor

Hi Marcio

Yes, I had seen them although I have not used them.

I looked at the list of available pickers, and saw there are a range of XML pickers, but they are the likes of XML Dropdown list, checkbox etc but nothing that seemed like a rich hierarchy.

I will install the package and try them out and see if they can be used to suit my need.

Thank you

Paul

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Oct 06, 2017 @ 13:37
    Marcio Goularte

Also has this package

http://pickup.tonic.io

not yet released and believe to be in development

that seems to be similar to what you want.

is for media but the idea seems to be the same

Oct 06, 2017 @ 14:17
    Paul Taylor

Ah yes, that Pickup package looks promising.

I have installed it, but it's not working, and there is no documentation yet, but I will dig into it and get it working.

The video demonstration on the website certainly seems to show exactly what I need.

Thanks for the help

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft