Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• athul 26 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 20, 2017 @ 04:48
    athul

Filter static content requests in Umbraco

Hi, in my website, I need a setup where User A should not access the files which user B have access. I made a lot of google search and Identified that I can achieve this by adding a filter to all static content requests and checking inside that filter whether the current user could access the file he requested or not. So my question is how I can achieve this in Umbraco? Or is there any better way available to achieve what I am looking for?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:20
    Dan Diplo

If by users you mean front-end members then there is a commercial package available that will protect media (in Umbraco media section) - https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/media-protect/

Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:24
    athul

Yes, I meant from end users only, But I want the ability to decide whether the user should get access to a specific file or not programmatically. This package checks whether the user is logged in or not only before giving access. I want a setup like where member A can access specific files and member B won't be able to access same file.

Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:40
    Dan Diplo

Couldn't you achieve that via Groups? So you protect files with groups and then assign members to groups. That way you can control who can access what.

Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:43
    athul

Nop, That won't work in my case, I am building a financial software where we expect around 10k members, no member should have access to other member's file. So if went group way I have to create 10k groups as each member is a standalone entity here.

Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:46
    athul

I have been trying to achieve this by this method, But that is not working fine with my Umbraco environment. What astonishes me is that so far no one had a requirement like this with Umbraco? For me, this looks a common scenario where we don't want one of our customer to access another customer's files or better a Hacker should not be able to access entire files of all customers if he just had a login inside the system, Right?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 20, 2017 @ 09:36
    Richard Soeteman

You Can set permissions based on usergroups with MediaProtect. Sop you control who can see what.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Oct 20, 2017 @ 09:39
    athul

I can't use usergroups as each member should have access to his files only, so 10k users mean 10k usergroups here. Is there any other way awailable?

Oct 20, 2017 @ 08:54
    Dan Diplo

If the files are sensitive then I probably wouldn't be storing them on the filestore at all. I'd store them directly in a database as encrypted binary blobs keyed to the member Id and then write a custom file picker. More work? Definitely. But Umbraco was never really designed as a secure document storage.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft