Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rayyan 46 posts 238 karma points
    Oct 30, 2017 @ 18:12
    Rayyan

Umbraco sql server connection string

Hello there,

I have created a new sql database on sql server 2017 (developer version) and i have used SQLite Toolbox to convert the sdf db, however I have tried to connect the website to it but didn't succeed.

Here's my connection string I'm currently using;

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=servername;database=dbname;user id=rayyan;password=123456" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

And I have tried this one;

<add connectionString="Data Source=servername;Initial Catalog=dbname;User ID=dbo;Password=123456" name="umbracoDbDSN" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

What's the right way to connect it to the db?

Thank you,

• Martin Aguirre 42 posts 210 karma points
    Oct 30, 2017 @ 18:51
    Martin Aguirre

Hi Rayyan

Try this one

<connectionStrings>
        <remove name="umbracoDbDSN" />
        <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=servername;database=databasename;user id=idUser;password=Password" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
      </connectionStrings>

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 31, 2017 @ 08:28
    Paul Seal

Hi Rayyan Have you set the server to mixed mode. Maybe this video will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7H_r_9WtQg

Paul

Oct 31, 2017 @ 08:47
    Rayyan

Hi Paul, Thank you very much, your video is very helpful, anyway I still getting the same error

Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but Umbraco cannot connect to the database.

What I'm going to do is to start fresh with a new Umbraco website and connect it to a new database, and I can work with any version of sql, not just Express, right?

Oct 31, 2017 @ 09:16
    Rayyan

Hi again, It seems you were right, and the problem is with the db authentication, I have changed it and restart the sql from the services and the ssms, but didn't take affect.

enter image description here

Where do you think is the problem? Thanks alot

• Daniel 29 posts 142 karma points
    May 10, 2018 @ 13:32
    Daniel

Hi Paul, Rayyan, Can you give the title of the video? Or maybe the correct URL, as the video seems to have moved. I am getting a "Video not found" error when going to the URL... Thanks! Daniel

Oct 31, 2017 @ 09:50
    Rayyan

I have used sa for username and just worked! Thanks all

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 31, 2017 @ 16:57
    Paul Seal

Glad you got it working. Please mark as resolved.

• Charles R. Matvchuk 18 posts 124 karma points
    Oct 31, 2017 @ 17:04
    Charles R. Matvchuk

You shouldn't use sa for your username it is not best practice and also is a big security risk. You should create a user and then assign it to the database and the proper mappings. The sa account should always be disabled.

The reason your sa account works and the other did not, is because you didn't assign the account the proper database mapping and most likely the proper permissions.

Oct 31, 2017 @ 17:22
    Rayyan

Thank you Charl, I have followed your advice, I don't know what's the problem with the main username, so I created a new one and worked just fine.

• Charles R. Matvchuk 18 posts 124 karma points
    Oct 31, 2017 @ 17:23
    Charles R. Matvchuk

Great to hear that you got it working properly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft