Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Engan 430 posts 1173 karma points
    Dec 15, 2017 @ 10:02
    Tom Engan

SurfaceController: Return of URL that maintains ModelState

Which method is simplest (best practice) to maintain ModelState like with return CurrentUmbracoPage();

I want a return method in the surface controller that returns ModelState, but Redirect does not retain ModelState. This should be a normal scenario, but can't find equivalent option for return method. The url contains parameter and anchor so the string is correct (/turlister?partial=LoginForm#tab-1)

if (!ModelState.IsValid)
         // return CurrentUmbracoPage ();   <= ModelState is maintained
         return Redirect(string.Format("{0}#tab-1", "/turlister?partial=LoginForm"));

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 15, 2017 @ 10:54
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Tom

I'm not sure that it's right way to handle url fragments - Redirect(string.Format("{0}#tab-1", "/turlister?partial=LoginForm"));

Maybe it's better to use return CurrentUmbracoPage (); and pass some value to client in the ViewData and use this data in js for scrolling the page to

string.Format("{0}#tab-1", "/turlister?partial=LoginForm")

What do you think? Is it a solution?

Thanks,

Alex

• Tom Engan 430 posts 1173 karma points
    Dec 15, 2017 @ 11:25
    Tom Engan

Thanks for your reply. I actually get the correct url with string.Format("{0}#tab-1", "/turlister?partial=LoginForm"), and now I've also found a solution that works

base controller

protected override void OnActionExecuted(ActionExecutedContext filterContext)
    {
        if (TempData["ModelState"] != null && !ModelState.Equals(TempData["ModelState"]))
            ModelState.Merge((ModelStateDictionary)TempData["ModelState"]);

base.OnActionExecuted(filterContext);
    }

ActionResult

if (!ModelState.IsValid) {
        TempData["ModelState"] = ModelState;
        return Redirect(string.Format("{0}#tab-1", "/turlister?partial=LoginForm")); }

Now I can validate fields as before, both on the client side and on the server side.

I found the solution here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/658747/how-do-i-maintain-modelstate-errors-when-using-redirecttoaction

What is by the way best practice regarding where to put OnActionExecuted, because I intend to use the method in several controllers?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft