Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Viktor Ekholm 8 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 21, 2017 @ 15:53
    Viktor Ekholm

Authenticating custom Umbraco controller with OWIN/OIDC against Azure AD B2C

I am stuck.

I have a custom Umbraco controller which inherits from RenderMvcController and when the Index() action method is hit a file is returned. This works, but what I want to do is to protect it by decorating the action with an AuthorizeAttribute and then requiring the user to authenticate.

namespace MyNamespace.Controllers
    {
        public class MyModelController : RenderMvcController
        {
            [Authorize]
            public ActionResult Index(RenderModel model)
            {
                // ...
            }
        }
    }

The authentication is to be made using OWIN and OpenId Connect against an Azure AD B2C app. This also works and is tested, but in a non-Umbraco context.

I have read numerous threads and code relating to the subject, but I am struggling to integrate it within Umbraco. I have a custom startup class which inherits from UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup. I register a custom route to my AuthController and configure OIDC via IAppBuilder.UseOpenIdConnectAuthentication().

But I need the Umbraco glue and have problems understanding how I should configure the cookies. I have checked that the startup Configuration() method is invoked.

namespace MyNamespace
    {
        public class CustomOwinStartup : UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup
        {
            public override void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                base.Configuration(app);
                ConfigureAuth(app);

RouteTable.Routes.MapRoute(
                    "CustomAuth",
                    "CustomAuth/{action}",
                    new { controller = "Auth" }
                );
            }

private void ConfigureAuth(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                app.SetDefaultSignInAsAuthenticationType(CookieAuthenticationDefaults.AuthenticationType);
                app.UseCookieAuthentication(new CookieAuthenticationOptions
                {
                    AuthenticationType = DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ApplicationCookie,
                    LoginPath = new PathString("/CustomAuth/SignUpSignIn") // TODO: What should I put here?
                });
                app.UseExternalSignInCookie(DefaultAuthenticationTypes.ExternalCookie);
                app.UseOpenIdConnectAuthentication(
                    // Passing options that are tested and working
                );
            }
        }
    }

And then I have my auth controller which is very simple for the time being. I have no requirement to sync the auth info with Umbraco users.

namespace MyNamespace.Controllers
    {
        public partial class CustomAuthController : Controller
        {
            public CustomAuthController() : base()
            {
            }

public void SignUpSignIn()
            {
                if (!Request.IsAuthenticated)
                {
                    HttpContext.GetOwinContext().Authentication.Challenge();
                    return;
                }

Response.Redirect("/"); // TODO: Maybe this should redirect me back to original route MyModel/Index in some way
            }
        }
    }

If I run this and try to via my attribute-decorated custom Umbraco controller I get this error:

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url '/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=MYORIGINALROUTEHTTPENCODED'. This page can be replaced with a custom 404. Check the documentation for "custom 404".

My guess is that this is because of the <authentication mode="Forms"> setting in Web.config, but if I remove this or set the attribute mode to "None", will this not impact the back-office login?

Very thankful if anyone can help me point me in the right direction!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft