Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 07, 2018 @ 20:49
    Damiaan

Stay away from Umbraco.Core.DisposableObject()

I've spend my weekend trying to get my head around the finalizer in .net.

I was using the DisposableObject which exists in the Umbraco Core namespace. This class is meant as a base class (abstract) to be used by other classes. The class implements a very clean Dispose() pattern, and adds a virtual DisposeUnmanagedResources() method to clean up your unmanaged memory.

But... If you do not have unmanaged memory to clean, you better do not use the DisposableObject. This is because it is prepared to release unmanaged memory, it adds a Finalizer (the ~DisposableObject() method). And apparently adding a Finalizer to an object has an impact as it will live much longer than normally disposed objects.

Today, I learned the hard way. You should avoid messing around and trying to be smarter that the GC. From the Dispose design guidelines: avoid making types finalizable and carefully consider any case in which you think a finalizer is needed.

Lesson learned: stay away from DisposableObject() if you do not have unmanaged memory to release.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 09, 2018 @ 21:32
    Shannon Deminick

Very interesting and thanks for the links and investigation!

Looks like we should create a DisposableObjectSlim or similar without a finalizer. This object originally came from v5 to implement a standard disposable pattern so it didn't need to be reimplemented over and over again.

Jan 09, 2018 @ 21:35
    Shannon Deminick

Btw those IDisposable docs are 10000% better than they were in the last, afaik the DisposableObject implemented the 'best practices' according to MS docs at the time 😉

Jan 11, 2018 @ 10:18
    Damiaan

I was also convinced that the Finalizer had to be used when using IDisposable. It was due to a mem leak in another project I was reading the docs.

To be honest I don't know whether the DisposableObjectSlim is a good idea. The point of IDispose is to free unmanaged resources. If you want to wrap objects with a using() to be able to Dispose earlier, it might be a good thing.

Jan 11, 2018 @ 10:49
    Shannon Deminick

One purpose of Dispose is to free unmanaged resources

Provides a mechanism for releasing unmanaged resources.

the other purpose is to follow the pattern when you need to clean things up when an object is out of scope or if you want to use the using syntax which is much nicer to do in many cases than to do a try/finally.

There's plenty of examples of objects that are IDisposable that are not dealing with unmanaged resources.

It is odd that even though we were calling GC.SuppressFinalize just having a finalizer still matters.

Jan 11, 2018 @ 11:17
    Damiaan

True. I guess it's easier to see if there is a Finalizer that to check if the GC.SuppressFinalize() was called.

Just saw this has converted into an issue on the issue tracker: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10815

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft