Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefano Beretta 101 posts 246 karma points
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 07:16
    Stefano Beretta

IContentFinder: show protected node without authentication

Hi everyone!

I'm implementing my custom Content Finder and I'm almost done, but there's a problem: the code retrieve correctly the node, but it's protected (role based) and when I set the PublishedContentRequest.PublishedContent to the protected node I've found, Umbraco (correctly) redirect me to the login page. Is there a way to temporary remove this protection?

I've the following structure:

HP

• SubHome1 (MultinodePicker to ProtectedNode1 and ProtectedNode2)
    • SubHome2
    • ProtectedHP
      • ProtectedNode1
      • ProtectedNode2

The purpose is to have "virtual pages" under SubHome1 (/SubHome1/ProtectedNode1 and /SubHome1/ProtectedNode2) without duplicating the nodes, so I can show the user some of my protected pages.

The IContentFinder works, it find the protected nodes, but I'm always redirected to the login page.

public class PreviewsContentFinder : IContentFinder
        {
            public bool TryFindContent(PublishedContentRequest request)
            {
                //find my protected node from the last url segment
                //...
                if(nodeIsFound)
                {
                     request.PublishedContent = foundNode; //foundNode is my protected node
                     //some other istruction to avoid redirect to the login page

}
                return nodeIsFound;
            }
        }

Thank you S

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 09:58
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Stefano,

Maybe a stupid question ? But why do you want to show a page that is protected without the user having to log in ? Doesn't that make the proctection useless ?

Dave

• Stefano Beretta 101 posts 246 karma points
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 10:55
    Stefano Beretta

Same question I asked to my customer when he told me "Ok, now remove the protection from these pages!"... He wanted neither duplicate nor move the node so I thought about the content finder... I know it's kinda weird...

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 11:10
    Nik

I don't think you are going to be able to achieve what you are after directly because the parent node is protected. However, what about if you created a "virtual" page. This would have a different url, but instead of using the content finder approach you load the data via the Umbraco cache using a partial view. You have full control on this I think.

You'd have to put some meta bits in place as the same content would be available on two urls, but you wouldn't have duplication in the back office, so a single point of managing it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft