Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 08:59
    Kevin Jump

Developing Umbraco Tours - Questions

Hi,

First of tours rock, really slick and good way to show people how things work and lots of fun to make (and a great way to learn about how the html fits together in umbraco).

I have been dipping my toe into making tours, and i have a couple of quick questions about how they work.

Can tours be skipped ?

When you first see the list of tours you get the numbered list of activities, is it possible to let steps be skipped on the tour ? (i know for some tours this might break later tours).

for example in the translation manager package, people might well have installed it onto a site that already has languages installed, so they won't need a 'setup a language copy of your site' tour? but currently they would have to do it to get to the 'Create a set' tour?

enter image description here

It would be great if people didn't have to do 1 before they could do 2. (Equally this would be useful if your tour was just a collection of helper steps, or new distinct features)

Clearning the tour data (Developing!)

Update: TourData in the table table did work - must have been caching!

When you are developing - most of the time you don't need to reset your tour data - because you can just re-run - but to check what it might be like for a new user you will need to clean your tour data.

I thought it was TourData in the umbracoUser table, but i set that to blank, rebuilt my site and umbraco still throught i had progress in tours ? - am i doing something wrong?

Branching More of a feature request (isn't that what happens when you add something new) - it would be good to have branching (or lets call it "goto") - so if a user picks on thing in a step, we could skip a step and go to another place in the steps. - really not super critical, it just occurred to me when writing a tour out.

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 09:06
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Agree about the part of not having to go by one and then two and so on.

Maybe some bullets or something simular which represents all the tour steps ( if its not about many steps! ).

Something like this:

enter image description here

where the status bar is clickable to the correct tour step.

/Michaël

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 09:30
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Kevin,

Maybe using you can do something with the tour service to complete the tour in that case :

https://our.umbraco.org/apidocs/ui/#/api/umbraco.services.tourService

By the way..i have a very early WIP : https://github.com/dawoe/umbraco-tour-editor

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft