Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lou 2 posts 74 karma points
    May 04, 2018 @ 12:21
    Lou

Migrating pages from old CMS to Umbraco grid

Hi everyone,

I need to migrate many webpages from an old CMS that stores data in an SQL Server database to Umbraco. The old CMS allows content editors to create pages by setting any kind of layout they wish in a user friendly graphical interface. I need to give content editors the ability to recreate these pages in Umbraco.

In Umbraco, I have already created the required document types and templates to achieve this. The content for these pages is created using grid layouts that I have created and which function fine. The content editor is able to pick any combination of the grid row layouts that have been created (5 of them), and create content like Rich Text Editors and Macros (there's a lot of data to be entered in the macro parameters) in these grid row layouts.

So the content editor can create a page like:

• Row layout 1
    • Row layout 4
    • Row layout 2
    • Row layout 5
    • Row layout 1
    • and so on...

In addition, there are many components on the old CMS that I have recreated in Umbraco as macros which require content editors to enter a variety of parameters like text, picking content, picking images etc. In Umbraco, the content editors will use these macros in the grid layouts. The grid and macros work fine and allow content editors to recreate the pages exactly how they need to.

Because there are a huge number of pages to create, I am required to migrate the content from the old CMS to Umbraco. I have read the CMSImport documentation at https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport/ and found out that Umbraco grid and macro migration isn't something that's available out of the box.

I have also read the article at http://skrift.io/articles/archive/hybrid-grid-editors-get-more-mileage-from-your-grid/ which talks about migrating content into an Umbraco grid but I'm not sure if this procedure will be applicable to my situation because the content editor needs to make a decision about which grid layout to use based on how the existing webpages are displayed.

In addition, the data from the existing CMS components has to be migrated into the Umbraco macros that I have created.

How would I go about doing the migration from the old CMS to the Umbraco grid and the macros within the grid?

Lou

• Mohsen 10 posts 80 karma points
    May 08, 2018 @ 08:21
    Mohsen

No idea from my side. Sorry.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    May 08, 2018 @ 09:14
    Steve Morgan

Hi, I've done this before (no code to hand, sorry). Basically I used the Content Service and manually created json strings.

I'd recommend you create by hand some simple examples and then analyse the json the grid creates. Then in your import just create this json and store it to the grid property.

How many pages are you talking about?

Steve

• Lou 2 posts 74 karma points
    May 09, 2018 @ 11:10
    Lou

Thanks Steve, I will give that a go. I've got over a 1000 pages and the layouts are not consistent so this should be challenging.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    May 09, 2018 @ 12:41
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

An alternative might be to import this content to a "raw html" field and mark this as deprecated. Then when users come to update content suggest they recreate it in the grid.

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft