Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carsten Johannesen 35 posts 55 karma points
    Jun 01, 2018 @ 10:09
    Carsten Johannesen

sync between Umbraco server and Visual Studio project

We are developing a solution with multiple VS extensions (models views etc) to Umbraco, and want to have correct sync between the [local] VS project and the development server. Using VS 2015 and Umbraco 7.9.2 (on a IIS 8)

The issue is when anything changes on the server (like a new page) how do you get those things "back" into the VS project. VS Web Deploy seems to be one way: from VS to server. VS FTP deploy is one-way: from VS to Server.

I remember in VS 2010 you had a 2-way functionality thru Copy Web where you could copy to and from both the local files and the remote server...

How are you guys handling this?

• Aditya 24 posts 128 karma points
    Jun 01, 2018 @ 20:27
    Aditya

I'm running a small personal site on Umbraco, and I usually just right click on the file or folder in VS 2017 and do a "Replace from Server". It pulls down the latest file from the server and seems to work well.

I'm using SQL CE for this site so I can pull the database down the same way.

I'm sure you're using a SQL DB, so you'll probably need to set up a sync between your live DB and the staging DB. I've done that before using SQL Server's own backup and restore functionality.

• Andy Felton 185 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 07:23
    Andy Felton

Hi Carsten,

Our practices are fairly simple but we do have some limitations because of this.

We use AWS and have live/staging on EC2 with SQL RDS databases and then local development machines with SQL Express. We use MS Deploy (or Appveyor) to deploy from our local machines (or GIT Repository) to live/staging.

For Document Type edits we perform them on development machines and use a package called uSync to serialise these as code. This allows them to be added to source control and published to live/staging with our deployment pipeline.

With the content we just backup from live (before we start any development) and then restore this to our staging or development environments.

All content changes are only done on the live environment, any we do on staging we basically have to redo on live. This isn't great but the only option if changes happen on live during the development phase. Their is a product called Courier which we use with one site. This allows you to push content changes between environments. Another option is Umbraco Cloud which uses Umbraco Deploy and provides and deployment pipeline.

Hope this helps. Andy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft