Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig 34 posts 270 karma points
    Jun 01, 2018 @ 16:11
    Craig

Linking Members to Roles to Nodes

Hi,

A site I'm working on needs to allow for registered members (not back office users) to be given access to front end data/features if they are in a specific role and have been linked to the content they are viewing.

Whilst I can't go into specifics of the project assume we have an area called Restaurants and under that section are nodes Restaurant 1, Restaurant 2 and Restaurant 3. Let's also say we have permission levels of Restaurant Admin and Waiter. Restaurant Admin would provide full admin privilege against all restaurants and Waiter would provide cut down access

With Member Groups I can add a Member to both Restaurant Admin and Waiter but I can't figure out how to deal with the scenario where a member may be a Restaurant Admin against one particular restaurant but a Waiter against another. I don't even know if this is possible with Member Groups.

The solution I have come up with so far is to create a Document Type called Member Profile which can be created underneath each Restaurant node. In it is a property that links back to a Member and also a custom drop down containing the type of membership i.e. Restaurant Admin and Waiter.

This removes Member Groups from the equation altogether but feels clunky in that I am going to end up with a lot of repeated data in the Umbraco back office. The only other scenario I can think of is to provide Restaurant specific Role Groups e.g. Restaurant 1 Admin, Restaurant 2 Admin etc but this could mean the back office getting bogged down with Member Groups.

Any ideas?

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Jun 01, 2018 @ 20:35
  • Craig 34 posts 270 karma points
    Jun 11, 2018 @ 07:19
    Craig

Hi Marcio,

Sorry for the delay in responding. That looks like a really good route for me to go down. Thanks for the advice!

Craig.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft