Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Jun 05, 2018 @ 15:04
    Harry Spyrou

Hello,

I'm trying to use Phone Manager but I find the documentation insufficient. Has anyone used it before?

I'm not sure how to save the data and how it actually knows where the user is coming from. Any help would be appreciated.

So apparently an e.g. Facebook campaign will have a query string on the url that the Phone Manager will pick up, then I have to go in a controller and match that query with a campaign string that I have and display the appropriate number?

• jf 8 posts 103 karma points c-trib
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:09
    jf

Hi, I've not actually used the Phone Manager package but it looks interesting if it's the same one I'm looking at, is it this one?

If it is, can you explain what you are trying to do with it? I'll get the package installed and try some things out in the meantime. It looks like it could be useful.

Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:14
    Harry Spyrou

Hello jf,

No it's actually this one. Yours is part of the 'family' of these plugins. I figured out how it is being used but it took me a good 4-5 hours to do that. The documentation is very poorly written and doesn't cover everything.

I can go into details about how it works. Just let me know.

I'm using it for a client and it's actually pretty cool.

• Will Roscoe 5 posts 90 karma points
    Jul 17, 2018 @ 15:38
    Will Roscoe

Hi Harry,

I'm the developer of Phone Manager. Are you still having issues, or have unanswered questions? Let me know and I'll try and help you.

Regards, Will

Jul 17, 2018 @ 16:43
    Harry Spyrou

HI Will,

I did a crapload of testing to figure out how it works. It has gone live but one thing I never got to understand (or manage to test how it works), is the 'overwrite persisting item'.

What do you mean by that? I assumed that when you have something as a 'persistent' item, then it overrides everything else and this phone always shows.

And when you have 'overwrite existing persistent item' then that phone number will basically overwrite the previous cookie. Am I correct?

Jul 18, 2018 @ 08:15
    Will Roscoe

Hi Harry,

Yep, you're correct. It will overwrite a previous cookie (assuming the 'Disable any campaign from overwriting persisting items' in the main Phone Manager Settings tab is not set). I'll try and make the documentation a bit clearer. If you have any suggestions/comments for additional functionality let me know.

Regards, Will

Jul 20, 2018 @ 09:37
    Harry Spyrou

Hi Will,

I clearly remember when I was trying to test it, i couldn't seem to get it to work. The persistent item thingy.

I tried pretty much everything (as in, trying to create a persistent item and then try to overwrite it), but every time I did it and went into new incognito mode (or clearing cookies and cache, I did both) the previous phone number would show. I'm not sure if I was testing it wrong or if it didn't work.

Regards Harry

Jul 25, 2018 @ 15:06
    Will Roscoe

Hi Harry,

One thought - To enable overwriting of persisting cookies, the Phone Manager Setting 'Disable any campaign from overwriting persisting items' should be unchecked. This might be why it didn't work for you??

Regards, Will

Jul 25, 2018 @ 15:20
    Harry Spyrou

Hi Will,

No, I had that unchecked. I've tried it for hours. I was thinking that I may be testing it the wrong way?

I was trying in incognito/private mode to test the new cookies. Not sure what was going wrong but the client hasn't come back with problems when it comes to it, so I guess I was just testing it wrong. They've been using it for a month or so now (I think).

The only problems I could spot was the documentation and the descriptions under the fields.

Regards Harry

Jul 27, 2018 @ 09:16
    Will Roscoe

Hi Harry,

I've just tested it in a new install of Umb 7.11.1 and it is working for me. One thing to bear in mind when testing is that Phone Manager performs its checks only on the first request in a new browser session (as is sets a new session object then, which is then used for the rest of the user's current session).

Cheers, Will

Jul 27, 2018 @ 10:52
    Harry Spyrou

Hi Will,

That means that it would still show the new phone numbers in an incognito/private mode right?

It would think it's a new session.

Regards Harry

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft