Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niels Swimberghe 22 posts 105 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2018 @ 20:32
    Niels Swimberghe

Models Builder Api Mode questions/suggestions

Hi all,

I'm very very new to Umbraco, so bear with me and give feedback if this isn't the right way of suggesting this.

I just learned about Models Builder API mode and was interested in using it, but I'm put off by the fact that you have set your URL/Username/Password on the Visual Studio level.

This doesn't really make sense to me because every Umbraco project may have a different URL/username/password. The way I would expect the tool to work is that you generate an api key + secret which you can set in your debug config file. This way we don't have to tie our personal credentials to Visual Studio, and also have the settings on a project level which makes more sense to me.

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in this, and if so where should I suggest this feature?

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 23, 2018 @ 06:51
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Niels,

The username/password you enter in Visual Studio are stored atsolution level.

In your solution folder you will find a file with the name [YourSolution].UmbracoModelsBuilder.user

That's where it stores the information. Files with the .user extension is something you typically keep out of your source control.

Dave

Jun 23, 2018 @ 16:45
    Niels Swimberghe

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll check it out when I get to my dev VM. That makes more sense.

Cheers!

Jun 26, 2018 @ 17:43
    Niels Swimberghe

I just checked, and it works as you explained. Having a password in there still makes me feel uneasy, but since it's just a local development password it's not that relevant.

Thanks for the help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft