Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Jul 08, 2018 @ 14:56
    David Zweben

Simplest way to auto-delete nodes on date?

I have a schedule section set up on my site, which uses 'schedule instance' nodes to store event dates for the schedule. I want these nodes to auto-delete once the event passes, as determined by the value of a date picker property on the node. What's the simplest way to do this?

Preferably, I'd like the deletion to happen automatically, regardless of whether anyone is interacting with the website at the time. For the purposes of the project, it's important that it doesn't rely on any Umbraco packages, but .NET libraries are acceptable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:06
    Yakov Lebski

You can schedule page to be unpublished at specific date and time. Umbraco supports it out of the box.

Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:09
    David Zweben

Hi Yakov,

I know about the un-publishing capability, but I want the nodes to be deleted completely. Otherwise, the list of nodes is going to get too big over time, and someone would need to manually delete them.

I know how I could cull the list of nodes on an event like page save, but I want it to happen automatically on a time interval instead.

Thanks,
    David

Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:19
    Yakov Lebski

Another option is to subscribe to the unpublished event and delete node completely

in application handler

ContentService.UnPublished += ContentService_UnPublished;

private void ContentService_UnPublished(IPublishingStrategy sender, PublishEventArgs<IContent> e)
        {
            foreach (var item in e.PublishedEntities)
            {
                ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentService.Delete(item);

}
        }

Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:21
    David Zweben

That's a pretty good idea, thanks.

• Owain Williams 480 posts 1412 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:52
    Owain Williams

Hi Yakov, This is pretty nice - would it be possible to use this for only a specific document type? The reason I ask is, what if someone puts an unpublish date on say a News article and another on an Announcement. They want the Announcement deleted but not the News.

O.

Jul 08, 2018 @ 19:56
    Yakov Lebski

I think it's should work in this way

if(item.ContentType.Alias=="alias")
          {
    do logic here
     }

Jul 08, 2018 @ 20:01
    David Zweben

I also found this, which was helpful:

https://growcreate.co.uk/blog/better-task-scheduling-in-umbraco/

Using Umbraco's built-in scheduler looks like it will work well enough for me, so I'm going to make an Umbraco WebAPI controller to delete the nodes, and stick that URL in the scheduler config.

Jul 08, 2018 @ 20:16
    Yakov Lebski

Yes, you can do it this way too, when you run over all nodes and search node to delete, it may be very expensive for big sites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft