Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Styles 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jul 11, 2018 @ 08:05
    Rob Styles

Push Content into Umbraco?

Hi,

I'm working with a high-traffic Umbraco site who manage all their web content in Umbraco currently.

They also have a product database outside of Umbraco that is considered the master. That db already receives incoming data from various suppliers.

They would like to build an adapter to automatically push product data changes into Umbraco, to remove their current re-keying solution.

Is there an existing Rest (or similar) API for doing this now that the official rest api is deprecated?

Thanks

Rob

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2018 @ 09:45
    Jon R. Humphrey

Rob,

While HQ is definitely pushing headless, and rightly so, there's no reason you can't still use the RestAPI as before - especially if you're not using Cloud.

What issues have you experienced so far?

Jon

Jul 11, 2018 @ 10:09
    Rob Styles

I don't think it's a viable/sane proposition for a business to build a key integration on an abandoned and unsupported project.

If it were a quick hack then maybe, but this needs to be supported/supportable.

The integration isn't started, so I'm looking for the "right" way to do it...

Thanks

Rob

Jul 11, 2018 @ 12:13
    Jon R. Humphrey

Rob,

I wouldn't call using the RestAPI a "hack" even if it's discontinued by the HQ?

It'll still be using core APIs under the hood which will be supported.

It was built by HQ for us to do with as we need, in fact, you could fork the repo and maintain it yourself thereby adding further revenue to your project as a whole?

Remember, the brilliant part of Umbraco as a whole is being able to build it the way that works for you for that project utilising what the HQ has given us?

I'm having a hard time understanding why you're trying to find a solution to something that has a solution, two in fact:

1. Headless Cloud
    2. RestAPI in your own instance

Can you explain more?

Jul 11, 2018 @ 12:22
    Rob Styles

Hi Jon,

1. The site is a high-traffic site that has already been turned away from Cloud ("we don't have a solution for your traffic volumes") and is already built. So those, combined with Headless still being in beta are steering me away from Headless.

2. The Rest API is discontinued and the site I'm working with isn't looking to increase spend for an already end-of-life solution.

So Headless is not ready yet and Rest API is already unsupported.

I'm looking for a simple, reliable, network API for adding content. I had expected that to be core.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Jul 11, 2018 @ 12:33
    Jon R. Humphrey

Rob,

Nothing is stopping you from cloning the RestAPI repo, investigate the way that works further and then implement your own solution?

The core API's aren't going anywhere, it's just that one solution is no longer being developed in favour of Headless?

Unfortunately, there's nothing else "off the shelf" that is in the public domain.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft