Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Aug 15, 2018 @ 02:13
    Nathan Woulfe

Property editor advice - does this exist?

Hi fam

I'm looking at updating/refining how we manage a heap of our property data, curious as to whether anyone has done similar or has suggested direction...

Background: many moons ago, we built a couple of simple property editors to allow a site administrator to define a list of values (using multi-textstring) which are then fetched and used as prevalues in a dropdown list on a document type:

• config node
      • has multi-textstring property
    • content node
      • has dropdown with prevalues from config node

That's all fine and dandy, and works (sort of). The issue now is that if we want to update one of the config values - say from 'Spaghetti' to 'Baked beans' - the way the editors were built means that all pages referencing Spaghetti will need to be updated to Baked beans. Essentially the editor is only concerned with the string value, there's no keys/indexing at play.

I'm aware of the dropdown with publishing keys, but that's marked as obsolete and without knowing of a replacement in the core, I'm hesitant to use it.

So, my question - does an editor exist that renders as a dropdown, with prevalues sourced from a property on another node (or something to that effect). Ideally I want to stay out of the developer section for updating prevalues, but need the flexibility of adding/removing/updating/sorting prevalues and having those changes reflected on content nodes.

Understandably there will need to be some SQL stuff done to update existing property values to include a key (at the very least).

I don't want to reinvent the wheel if there's already a perfectly good one rolling around somewhere...

cheers N

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 15, 2018 @ 09:29
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Nathan,

Seems to me something that could be handled by nuPickers.

You can create a dropdown that reads the values from the config node. You can use a DotNetDataSource for that.

But than still the issue remains with your list not having keys. Maybe the string list is not the best solution for this. Maybe you can just create the values as content nodes. That way you have a key (id or UDI) and text can be changed without any problem.

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft