Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 04, 2018 @ 17:33
    Ismail Mayat

Migration from sitecore to Umbraco

Hello,

Seen a few posts on this topic but was wondering if anyone has done it recently. We are looking to move site from sitecore to Umbraco. I have some xml translation files from sitecore but they are not very helpful to use with CMSImport.

Looks like I would have to further transform those files into something useable then import using CMSImport.

Anyone already done this?

Regards

Ismail

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 05, 2018 @ 06:21
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ismail,

I have done this once. Many many light years ago. On Umbraco 4 and Sitecore 5 or 6.

In sitecore you an option to export your data to an xml format (will need to google it or look it up later).

Than we wrote our own code to get it into umbraco.

I remember it was a hell of a job.

Dave

Sep 05, 2018 @ 07:54
    Ismail Mayat

Dave,

The xml export looks like export for translation so format of it looks like:

<sitecore><phrase path="/sitecore/content/SaW/Global gateway/Insights" key="Insights" itemid="{B6C8C0EE-A700-4BA9-8A0E-56E7B6D7CC3F}" fieldid="Title" updated="20180717T083648Z">
    <en>Insights</en></phrase></sitecore>

All the properties for all the docs are in one xml file and the format is not something you can work with using cmsimport. It looks to me as though you would need to write xpath to get all the ids then use that to write and xslt to transform it to say a format like:

<doc id="{B6C8C0EE-A700-4BA9-8A0E-56E7B6D7CC3F}">
    <title>Insights</title></doc>

Unless there is another xml import function? I am working blind at the moment as we do not have working site core site.

Regards

Ismail

Sep 05, 2018 @ 08:02
    Dave Woestenborghs

I think that is what we worked with.

I remember it was not an easy task. Especially getting internal links correct required a second pass on all items. Maybe that is easier now that Umbraco supports guids.

Dave

Sep 05, 2018 @ 08:05
    Ismail Mayat

Ah yes the second pass, I had to do that to wire up old links to updated new ones although that was with another cms. Thanks for confirming the xml structure was hoping there was something else to give us better format.

Regards

Ismail

Sep 05, 2018 @ 08:08
    Dave Woestenborghs

If I rember correclty they also have a webservice that would allow you to get the items.

Dave

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Sep 05, 2018 @ 14:07
    Richard Soeteman

I did once (with cmsimport ages ago) But I did query the database in the end since xml didn't give me enough info. Think it took me a full week with loads of hard coded assumptions. It was a pain project..

Don't know how many pages you have but if the site isn't too big maybe let someone add content manually.

Sep 05, 2018 @ 14:10
    Dave Woestenborghs

Don't know how many pages you have but if the site isn't too big maybe let someone add content manually.

Would suggest that as well. In the process doing that the editors are trained as well in the cms.

Dave

Sep 05, 2018 @ 15:13
    Ismail Mayat

Site is pretty big. However most of that content is a couple of areas namely News,People,Faqs and Events.

So I am thinking export those sections out. Write xslt to transform to more usable xml format then use cmsimport to pull in. I just need to figure out cross linking and media items. However I have a few ideas.

Thanks for the help guys.

Regards

Ismail

Sep 05, 2018 @ 15:19
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ismail,

In Sitecore all the ideas are guids. In Umbraco now everything has a guid as well (UDI). So maybe you can use the existing one when creating items in Umbraco. That should keep links intact. Of course RTE content needs to be update to use locallink

Dave

Sep 05, 2018 @ 15:22
    Ismail Mayat

Dave,

Ah ok didnt know you get set the UDI while creating new items thought it just assigned you one. Interesting. May need to look at whether cmsimport you can map udi or will i have to write something that sets it during the import.

Regards

Ismail

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Sep 06, 2018 @ 07:01
    Richard Soeteman

If it's possible in Umbraco you can use the Event system of CMSImport to set the GUID

Sep 05, 2018 @ 15:23
    Dave Woestenborghs

I don't know if it can be set. But if it could it would save you a lot of trouble.

Dave

Sep 06, 2018 @ 07:05
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft