This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Smith 75 posts 158 karma points
    Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:32
    Steve Smith

How to extend an Umbraco page to accept additional routing

Hello,

Supposing I have an Umbraco page:

www.mysite.com/search/

Is there some way I can extend the routing so that it handles further parameters, which are passed in to the model by the controller? (like a custom route).

E.g. www.mysite.com/search/parameter-1/parameter/2

Basically, I'd want the Umbraco doctype/template for "search" to handle that request, but for "parameter-1" and "parameter-2" to be passed in to the model.

Hopefully I've explained what I'm trying to do :-) Is there some way Umbraco supports scenarios like this?

Thanks,

Steve.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:42
    Nik

Hi Steve,

Have a look at this package: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/website-utilities/autoroutetemplate/

I think that this should help you achieve what you are after :-)

Cheers

Nik

Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:45
    Steve Smith

Thank you. Was hoping there might be a way to have some kind of hybrid between a standard Umbraco doc type and a custom route "out of the box" - but I'll certainly take a look at that package.

• James Meredith 18 posts 91 karma points
    Sep 12, 2018 @ 08:50
    James Meredith

Could you not just use query string parameters to do this www.mysite.com/search/?p1=parameter-1&p2=parameter-2 and then use a RenderMvcController to pass information into a custom model

Sep 12, 2018 @ 18:52
    Steve Smith

Thanks, yes, for that particular page it would be possible to do that.

However, I have some other pages where from a friendly Url point of view, it would be nicer to have the parameters as "folders". E.g. I have to output some products.

Rather than:

/products/?id=1234&name=acme

It would be nicer to have:

/products/1234/acme/

The package linked to in the other reply would probably work fine. Just feel there should be a way of doing it "out the box" too though :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft