Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Sep 19, 2018 @ 15:59
    Jamie Attwood

Authenticating Members with Active Directory in 7.12

Reading through the documentation here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Security/#authenticating-with-active-directory-credentials) on authenticating back office users via AD, but no mention of doing the same with Umbraco members which seems to be a more useful requirement than back-office users in an intranet scenario...anyway....

Is there a means to achieve this using the same providers? Ideally, I would like to auto login members into an intranet.

1. Without creating a user profile first in the members section (auto linking)
    2. Auto login to a password protected page without seeing a login page

I know there are a few good packages out there, but I am not sure if they are still applicable since 7.5.0+

Any help or direction really appreciated!

Thanks

Jamie

• mridentity 4 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 19, 2018 @ 21:16
    mridentity

"but no mention of doing the same with Umbraco members"

There is separate package from the same author UmbracoIdentitythat deals with front-end members.

*"which seems to be a more useful requirement than back-office users in an intranet scenario...anyway...."

True, for sites on intranet which seems to be your case here. AD authentication over the Internet is impractical due to many reasons.

*"Is there a means to achieve this using the same providers?"

Possible see here on how it could be done.

*"Auto login to a password protected page without seeing a login page"

What you're describing is a form of integrated SSO authentication, for which you probably don't need the UmbracoIdentity or IdentityExtensions package which was provided mainly to support the use of external social login providers such as facebook, google etc. If your site is going to be hosted on a Windows network you may be able to configure Umbraco membership provider to use ADMP directly. I have to leave for now, ping back if you need further assistance.

• Connie DeCinko 95 posts 248 karma points
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 22:30
    Connie DeCinko

It appears UmbracoIdentity only works with older versions of Umbraco. It's crashed my clean install of 7.13.2.

Sep 20, 2018 @ 12:25
    Jamie Attwood

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Looks like the SSO method might be the best way to go. Unfortunately I am a little in the dark as to how this provider works (ie would I need to have existing AD member profiles already built in umbraco or would it just "work" out of the box?, etc.) I'll keep searching but if you can help point me in a few directions, I would really appreaciate it.

Thanks!

Jamie

• mridentity 4 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 20, 2018 @ 21:18
    mridentity

You're very welcome. Have you checked out the previous post on this topic here?

Sep 21, 2018 @ 13:58
    Jamie Attwood

Yes, I have seen that one. I'll get on it and report back with my findings to close the loop.

Thanks again,

Jamie

• Connie DeCinko 95 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 25, 2019 @ 16:40
    Connie DeCinko

@Jamie I realize it has been several months but did you come up with a solution? Can you share details?

Mar 25, 2019 @ 17:02
    Jamie Attwood

Hi Connie, unfortunately – no.

I know that .net offers membership providers for AD (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.security.activedirectorymembershipprovider?view=netframework-4.7.2) and that it could be a simple issue of just switching out the membership providers in web.config, but my real issue was trying to test against active directory in a test environment that I did not have access to...so I could not even test it ultimately if I wanted to.

There could be a very simple solution to this but was never able to cross the finish line. Please update this post if you find a solution!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft