Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas 160 posts 335 karma points
    Oct 30, 2018 @ 19:05
    Thomas

I am developing a community website. The members will register and then they will have the opportunity to post two types of content. Either a book with photos or a story with images and text. So i need suggestions on what to use. Should i use Umbraco Forms, Content Type and store the data on a custom table linked with the member id. I am asking because i don't want to overload the backoffice tree with published content per member supposing that the members might be hunders or thousands, and also i need a profile page like facebook wall for example.

I will appreciate any suggestions on how to build it.

Best Regards

Thomas

• Yakov Lebski 553 posts 2117 karma points
    Nov 03, 2018 @ 19:39
    Yakov Lebski

You can add a needed field to member profile it's supported out of the box

Nov 03, 2018 @ 19:42
    Thomas

Needed field? What do you mean?

Thank you

• Yakov Lebski 553 posts 2117 karma points
    Nov 03, 2018 @ 19:57
    Yakov Lebski

You can missing field here

enter image description here

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 14, 2018 @ 13:45
    Dan Diplo

I would personally create custom MVC forms to deal with the interface for creating content and then programatically add the content within Umbraco using the Content Service.

Umbraco works fine with a few thousand pages, if that is your concern. So even if you had a few hundred members, it should scale OK. I'd only really look at using custom tables if you would be storing many 10's of thousands of content data. But unless you know the project is going to be a big success I wouldn't optimise for that yet.

The advantage of storing the content in Umbraco is that it's easy to add, store and display. It also gives you stuff like approval workflows and the facility for Editors to moderate the content (via Umbraco) out-of-the-box. Using a custom database will add a lot of extra development work. So only go that route if you sure you are going to get thousands of members and have the budget for lots of bespoke work.

Nov 27, 2018 @ 08:59
    Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion. That is what i was thinking also.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft