Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 11:42
    Nik

Discussion - Nested Content - Limiting available documents

Hi,

This is just an idea at the minute and I was looking for feedback/thoughts on it. Please note this is not "toggle gate" all over again.

It is common for nested content to be used to help "build" pages by using them as widget collections where editors can add different blocks together. I suspect it is common that over time these blocks need to evolve/change/be replaced.

It would be useful to be able to updated a nested content configuration and flag some of the listed doc types as "disabled" or more accurately "No longer available for addition". This would allow developers/site admins to remove obsolete nested content types without stopping editors from editing existing versions of it.

For example

You had a builder using nested content that consisted of "Text Block", "Call to Action", "Slider", "Video", and "Accordion".

Later you want to replace "Call to Action" with a new "Super Call to Action" moving forward without having to retrospectively update existing content. It would be great to prevent the addition of new "Call to Action" blocks but still allow editing of the existing ones.

If you remove the "Call to Action" type from your nested content configuration you either get errors or lose the ability to update it.

What are peoples thoughts on this sort of behaviour?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 12:57
    Dan Diplo

Makes sense to me. It should be possible to delete or rename document types and instances of Nested Content that use them still work.

Maybe add it as a feature request to https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues ?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 14:05
    Nik

Cool :-) I was going to put it straight on the issue tracker but I thought I'd start a discussion here first to sanity check the idea :-)

• Al Burns 49 posts 149 karma points
    Nov 21, 2018 @ 14:48
    Al Burns

You can add multiple blueprints to the Nested Content data type which gives a pop-up window for selection when adding content so as a compromise you could offer the new content item alongside the old one.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft