Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ishan Vyas 67 posts 198 karma points
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 06:43
    Ishan Vyas

Web api or umbraco web api

I am confused in the terms web api and umbraco web api, i decided to use umbraco rest api but its outdated now because they are moving on towards umbraco headless. So i now want to use web api in my umbraco site so can you guide me any tutorials or documentation where i can see how its all configured and used in umbraco.

Also i want to know which is best suited an umbraco web api or external web api which is used in .net mvc?

kindly someone clear my confusion !!!!!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 09:16
    Ismail Mayat

Ishan,

Headless is part of umbraco cloud and to use it you have to pay for it. The difference between umbraco api and webapi is that umbraco api has umbraco goodness baked in namely access to umbraco services. So if you want end point to send back data from umbraco the easiest way is to use umbraco api.

Regards

Ismail

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 09:37
    Harry Spyrou

To add to Ismail's response, imagine that let's say an application could be a road or a track and you have Web API in one lane and Umbraco web api in another lane and they run side by side.

Whatever you need to do that doesn't necessarily have to do with Umbraco (with content for example) you could do it with web api as that's its lane.

If you need something from Umbraco you do it with its own Umbraco Web Api because as Ismail said, it contains umbraco goodness. Umbraco web api also has a bunch of things pre-done for you (so to speak) so you don't have to reinvent the wheel when you're trying to do something.

Nov 28, 2018 @ 09:46
    Ishan Vyas

Thanks Ismail Mayat & Harry Spyrou for this wonderful explanation i think now i am clear with both the terms. Can you suggest me some tutorial or material with which i can kick start things and work upon api in umbraco.

Nov 28, 2018 @ 09:49
    Ismail Mayat

See documentation on our https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/Routing/WebApi/ or watch https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/developer/fundamentals/api-controllers/ you have to pay for that. Webapis are also covered on mvc training course.

Nov 28, 2018 @ 09:54
    Harry Spyrou

Ismail is right once again. use the documentation, create a new project and have fun

Nov 28, 2018 @ 10:04
    Ishan Vyas

thanks once again both of you and i appreciate your work!! can you suggest where can i find mvc training course covering Webapis(free source other than UmbracoTV). keep up the good work!!!!

Nov 28, 2018 @ 12:19
    Harry Spyrou

I'd go for something cheaper as a start (especially if you're in the UK). Udemy / Pluralsight and also youtube has free stuff on there. Google around you'll definitely find things to use

Nov 28, 2018 @ 12:52
    Ishan Vyas

yes that's true, while I am a beginner i would definitely go on for something cheaper source first, i did search out in YouTube but nothing came up in for umbraco api's or web api integration in umbraco. Best training videos are from Paul seal but he has not yet done any video lessons on this particular topic. so hope some one might do a quick lesson on it so guys like me can learn from that. Anyways thanks for the help i will try to find it if i get it i shall post it here.

Nov 28, 2018 @ 10:05
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 14:59
    Ismail Mayat

Ishan,

There are plenty of packages on our with source code some of which use webapi see https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/cogworks-examine-inspector/ the angular dashboards get data using umbraco webapi.

Also take a look at nexu https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/nexu/

• Varun 7 posts 77 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 04:49
    Varun

Hi, I have a question too as I didn't know where to post I'm asking it here. I'm having my project on the Umbraco cloud of version 8 and I have ASP.NET web API builder on my local machine now I want to know if I create a controller in my local machine how will it get the content from my cloud-hosted website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• roshvan 1 post 71 karma points
    Dec 12, 2019 @ 05:22
    roshvan

This is a nice blog to watch out and we provided informative articles and please visit the website. Make sure you can check it out and keep on visiting our blog.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft