Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gary 80 posts 377 karma points
    Nov 30, 2018 @ 16:23
    Gary

Detect Last item in API Call

Hi,

I have created a Controller for an Umbraco API call to retrieve child news Articles. It only takes 4 at a time and there is a "Load More" button to take the next four. So whenever someone selects the "Load More" button it will hit the api for the next 4.

However, i want it to detect when there is no longer any more to get, so i can hide the Load More button. I could do this if the API returns nothing but i would want so it knows when it has retrieved the last one from the foreach loop.

I have tried .IsLast() however, there will always be a "last" item when grabbing 4 at a time. Does anyone know how i can approach this? Do i need to do some kind of nested foreach to grab the inital collection first then a foreach for taking 4 of the parent collection?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Query to grab the next 4 items

nodesToSearchThrough = help.Content(pageId)
                                .Children
                                .Where("Visible")
                                .OrderBy("createDate desc")
                                .Skip(currentCount)
                                .Take(moreCount);

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 30, 2018 @ 16:40
    Nik

Hi Gary

Could you extend your returned data model to include a "Is more" flag along with the contents?

Then in your API you can check if currentCount + moreCount is greater than or equal to the total number of children. If it is, you could set the "Is more" flag to be false.

Something to consider though (and I don't know how you want to handle this)... what if someone browses the website, is loading more and at the same time a new article is published? How would your page handle that scenario?

Nik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft