Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve 4 posts 77 karma points
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 11:16
    Steve

AngularJS - Worth learning? Or phasing out?

Hi,

New convert to Umbraco and so far I'm loving it, not sure why it took me so long to dip my toes in the Danish CMS water. I've been a .Net developer for a while, spending years shedding a tear at some of the generated html output produced from WebForms and then a cheer when empowered with clean markup from .net MVC - but equally still enjoying the power that both gave us as web developers, Umbraco made complete sense for me to investigate but for some reason I left it this long to do it, I suppose you have to start one day!

That aside, my question is related to all the AngularJS in the backend and knowing that Umbraco 8 is on the horizon but assuming this is still all using AngularJS (I'm yet to check as still getting familiar with v7.x)? Is Umbraco likely to ditch it any time soon for a more modern js solution?

I have a decent knowledge of React, Vue & Angular (2..then..4..5...6....x), but have never worked with Angular JS as I missed that period of JS frameworks as I was still very much JQuery-ing everything then. Now that it looks like I'll be making use of Umbraco for a few forthcoming projects and knowing that I'll be looking to develop custom sections for data models that don't make sense to squeeze into the Umbraco Node / Doc Types, it looks like I'll need to get a bit familiar with AngularJS to do it. Is it worth the effort to learn or is it only here for a short time? I can hopefully achieve what I'm after with only a basic knowledge judging from some example Umbraco Plugins I've seen on GitHub, it's just a shame I might have to take a step back in time to get learning & going with it.

Cheers!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 14:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steve and welcome to the Umbraco forum :-)

Good to see you have taken the plunge now :-)

I would say that it's still worth learning since AngularJS is also being used in v8 - Only difference is that it's been upgraded to the latest version, which is AngularJS 1.7 if I remember correctly. V7 is running version 1.15. But it should not be a biggie - One of the differences is that AngularJS 1.7 features components I think.

Since Umbraco v7 will still live for many years to come (New installs will of course drop but the once that are already running will probably have a life-span of a couple of years still).

So in short, yes it's still worth the effort and since you're already familiar with Angular, Vue and React I don't think you will find it too hard to think in terms of AngularJS :-)

Happy Umbracoing!

/Jan

• Steve 4 posts 77 karma points
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 16:19
    Steve

Thanks Jan - Good to know that AngularJS is still getting upgrades too, I hadn't checked the status of that.

Also, thanks for confirmation about v8 and also encouraging to know v7 will be around for a while yet, it's also nice to know on that front that a lot of v7 things I'm picking up now will still be useful for some time going forward.

I'll add AngularJS to the never ending list of things to investigate and get familiar with :)

Cheers

• pbl_dk 150 posts 551 karma points
    Jan 29, 2019 @ 16:20
    pbl_dk

Hi Steve.

You just have to read the "right" stuff. :-)

This book was a fast read (200 pages), and covers a lot of the stuff needed to get up and running with angularJS for umbraco devs :

Learning AngularJS for .NET Developers http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781783986606.do

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    Feb 01, 2019 @ 23:24
    MB

If you already know Vue.JS then you'll likely feel comfortable with AngularJS in a short amount of time. To me, Vue.JS feels like AngularJS "done right" and there is a lot of similarity in "the vibe" of using both that allowed me to pick it up largely from 'first principle' knowledge of Vue.JS

Personally, I'd love to see any future changes to BackOffice development become framework agnostic, rather than placing another use-by-date stake in the ground by selecting a specific framework/version, however, I have no idea what level of complexity such a design would entail for the BackOffice SPA.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft