Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    Feb 07, 2019 @ 05:08
    MB

Find RootNode in ApplicationStarting

I need to make a configuration decision in ApplicationStarting() based on a property-value of a node.

To get that node/value I would normally find the rootnode(s) using UmbracoHelper(UmbracoContext.Current) and work from there.

However, I find that UmbracoContext.Current is null at that point, and so that approach won't work.

Is there a way around this, or is it game-over?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 07, 2019 @ 09:22
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi MB

Try to use ContentService:

var firstRootNode = ApplicationContext.Services.ContentService.GetByLevel(1).FirstOrDefault();

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 07, 2019 @ 09:23
    Alex Skrypnyk

no game overs with Umbraco !!!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 07, 2019 @ 09:41
    Dirk De Grave

have you tried moving your code to the ApplicationStarted event, the umbraco context might not be ready on ApplicationStarting, hence the naming of the events...

using ContentService is not considered best practice imho

Feb 07, 2019 @ 09:44
    Alex Skrypnyk

I don't see a big problem to use a content service on application starting event, it's not a page loading event

Dirk, do you think that only IPublishedContent is the best way?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 07, 2019 @ 09:49
    Dirk De Grave

i didn't say it's a problem (1sql call (probably) won't make a difference), but avoid sql round trips whenever you can, which is what content service will do whereas the umbraco helper won't... Consider implementing this code in 1, 2, 50, 1000 event handlers on startup (yes, i'm playing devil's advocate). I just wanted to hightlight the difference

Feb 07, 2019 @ 10:33
    MB

Cheers guys.

The action I need to take needs to be done during the ApplicationStarting event, so I pretty much assumed that UmbracoContext was off the table at that point - or I should say I did after the usual 'Doh!'

I'll try using ContentService, as I don't think that any performance hit is likely to be an issue for me during the ApplicationStart phase.

Feb 08, 2019 @ 00:51
    MB
    var firstRootNode = ApplicationContext.Services.ContentService.GetByLevel(1).FirstOrDefault();

Actually... you can't do that either.

"Resolution is not frozen, it is not yet possible to get values from it."

On checking the documentation (when all else fails, RTFM)

"Never execute any logic or access any Umbraco services in this method"

That's fairly explicit, so it appears that maybe it is actually game-over for accessing that content in the ApplicationStarting event-handler.

However, although I still don't actually understand the relationship of the Umbraco ApplicationStart* events and the global Application_Start event, on doing a bit of testing, it appears that I can actually achieve what I needed (add to the global filters) in the Umbraco ApplicationStarted event-handler, where I can use UmbracoContext and hence UmbracoHelper.

So... problem side-stepped.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft