Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mathias valling 16 posts 126 karma points
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 10:44
    Mathias valling

searching and indexing

Hi Umbraco, We are faced with a rather fun task about searching and indexing. We have a client with 3 Umbraco sites on 3 backoffice ind diffrent Umbraco versions, and they are asking if we can make a search on all 3 at the same time so on site 1 you can search and get redirect to stuff on site 2.

Is this done before? can it be done with Umbraco headless as a 4th site? which will handle the indexing of the 3 other sites? any lead into what is possible would be appreciated

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 13:43
    Nik

Hi Mathias,

What you could do is create a search API end point on each of the three sites, then when you are searching you can search local, then call the other two sites API's.

If the API's all return the same data model to represent a page with all required information you could then shows results from all sites.

The only think you would lose in this scenario would be the ease of prioritising results, but you could get around this by combining all the results and then sorting by their score (assuming you are using examine to search within each of sites.

Nik

Feb 14, 2019 @ 14:33
    Mathias valling

so an API to gather the indexing from the 3 sites, then merge these into one index file, which another API (thinking headless here) will return the result to the page that did the request ?

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 17:30
    Nik

Not exactly what I was thinking.

Each site would be responsible for indexing it's own content.

Each site then has a Search API with a "Search" end point.

This has parameters such as "Query" and "OnlySelf".

Example search process:

Site A seach, searches itself, then calls Site B's search with the query term and "Only Self" as true, it also calls Site C's search in the same way.

Sites B and C, return their results as the appropriate search result model.

Inside Site A, it combines all the results and re-orders based on score.

Not sure how you'd handle paging in this situation though.

An alterative would be to use an external searcher such as Azure Examine search, where all 2 sites push to that index. I've never done this however so not sure how it would work :-)

Feb 14, 2019 @ 18:16
    Mathias valling

Sounds like i have some fun ahead of me, thanks for the input will look into your idea when ever I get the chance

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft