Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 10:07
    Alex Skrypnyk

Umbraco 99% uptime setup, no Azure

Hi Umbracians

What is the most advanced way to set up Umbraco website with max uptime?

A load balancer with few servers? But I think that failover server would be great also, how to achieve this?

Share your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Alex

• Steve Temple 63 posts 324 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 11:22
    Steve Temple

For a decent uptime you can setup the site on multiple servers with a load balancer, the config is pretty much as the documentation says: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/flexible

At this relatively basic level the only real trick is the media folders. Ideally this is located on some shared blob storage like Azure Blob storage or AWS S3. Otherwise it's IMHO a bit hacky syncing folders between servers using various methods.

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/flexible#option-2--file-storage-with-file-replication

For maximum uptime you want to consider:

1. SQL clustering or some sort other of redundant SQL server solution, like Azure SQL or similar.
    2. Distributing the site between data centers or at least having a failover to an alternate data center
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 12:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

Thanks, Steve, but what about using own 2 servers and CloudFlare or something like that?

We would like to avoid Azure and AWS for now.

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 16:06
    Harry Spyrou

I'm interested, since I'm working mainly with Azure, why do you want to avoid it?

Mar 11, 2019 @ 17:36
    Alex Skrypnyk

We want our own servers.

Mar 11, 2019 @ 12:23
    Steve Temple

Sorry I don't understand, does CloudFlare do load balancing or fallback, I've not used it?

Any proper hosting environment will have an option for load balancers and multiple servers. It doesn't just have to be AWS or Azure. I've done it before on Rackspace dedicated servers (was over £1500pm bill!)

You're going to need 2+ servers all of which can access the SQL database and both with access to or an up-to-date copy of the media. Then some way of sending traffic to all servers that are currently responding or sending all traffic to one and diverting it to the next in the list if that becomes unavailable.

Mar 11, 2019 @ 12:26
    Steve Temple

Just checked and OK cloudflare do some load balancing potentially between different data centers, but yeah the problem with that solution is securely syncing DB and media manually is fairly hard/complex especially between data centers. That's why everyone jumped on Azure, AWS etc. when they made this simpler.

Mar 11, 2019 @ 17:40
    Alex Skrypnyk

Thanks, Steve, you are right, this is challenging to sync data between data centers. I'm thinking about just copying the main site once a day to a fallback server, for example, full copy all files and database

Mar 11, 2019 @ 18:45
    Alex Skrypnyk

But the question is if the main server is down, will it be fine to switch to the fallback server? how much time it will take to switch with CloudFlare who knows?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft