Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pam 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 02:07
    Pam

Querying custom data and displaying a chart with filtering

Hello,

I have many years of experience as a .NET developer, but with Web Forms. I'm new to both Umbraco and MVC (and Git, which is how we're accessing the files for our development site) and am in a bit of a time crunch to convert something I previously developed as a user control on another platform.

The general idea is a page that dynamically loads data into a chart.js script and generates a graph. There are also two dropdowns, and whenever either dropdown is changed the data is filtered and the graph is redrawn.

I've set up a custom document type in Umbraco, and some of the data will definitely need to pull from there. There's also a chance some data will need to be loaded from an external API via HttpWebRequest.

I know I need a partial view, and if I'm understanding correctly I also need to create a model and a surface controller. I was following along with this tutorial on how to make a custom contact form: https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-create-a-contact-form-in-umbraco-using-mvc-and-c/. However, IntelliSense wasn't recognizing most of the code in Visual Studio, and no Razor templates were available when I tried to add a new view. I'm not sure the site is being recognized as MVC since it's not a project but files from a Git repository. Then I saw this post, where someone was struggling with what seems to be a very similar tutorial: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22953639/building-a-contact-form-in-umbraco-7. That post says to put the model and and controller in the app_data folder, rather than the "models" and "controllers" folder under the root that the tutorial says to create.

I've been trying to get through as many tutorials as I can, but being new to so many different aspects I'm finding it hard to know where to start. Can anyone help point me in the right direction or let me know if I'm way off base?

Thanks much, Pam

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft