Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Jul 31, 2019 @ 00:25
    Tom

Umbraco Headless vs Roll your own v8 rest api vs v7 rest API (deprecated)

Hi All, Just wondering what people are doing at the moment in the downtime between v7's rest api being deprecated (leaving v8 without one) and umbraco headless not being released.

The reason I ask is we have to kick off a project using umbraco essentially as a dumb data store and were going to build up the front-end in react.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for Headless right? But unfortunately there's no hard release date so we can't set the client's expectations.

We're contemplating rolling our own using api controllers in v8 but seems a bit fruitless given headless will be out soon.

Just wondering what other people are doing in this space out of interest?

Thanks!

• Marc Goodson 2123 posts 14214 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 03, 2019 @ 19:55
    Marc Goodson

Hi Tom

It probably depends a little on the needs of your site, and whether the front end will drive the querying of the data - eg via GraphQL - you want the front end team to be able to fetch and query data and receive the content without 'back end developer' involvement or whether you have clearly defined endpoints for what the apis need to delivery, and so these can be written specifically for consumption by the 'front end'.

Also do you specifically need V8 if it's just a dumb data store?

Anyway not sure if you have seen Matt Brailsford's Headrest:

https://github.com/mattbrailsford/umbraco-headrest

or RJP's GraphQL project:

https://github.com/rasmusjp/umbraco-graphql

but in terms of now, and if you must use V8, then I'm not aware of anything other than rolling your own....

... front enders I know are raving a lot about Squidex: https://squidex.io/ which is hopefully a lot like what umbraco headless will be...

regards

Marc

Aug 04, 2019 @ 23:01
    Tom

Hi Marc, Thanks for the reply. By dumb data store I mean headless.

Ideally I'm looking to use react for most of the front end and pulling in data from umbraco as required.

I had a look at headrest. I was wondering how you get started with it there's no clear hey run this up as it's not nugetted or packaged etc.

Thanks for the detailed reply

• Qaisar 31 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 16, 2019 @ 13:07
    Qaisar

Hi Tom

Did you manage the headrest to work? I am also trying to use Umbraco v8 with headrest but getting errors with umbraco mapper.

Sep 17, 2019 @ 23:28
    Tom

Hi! We ended up going another route just using React.Net and using typewriter and the server side rendering and it all worked pretty well :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft