Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saif Obeidat 79 posts 296 karma points
    Aug 28, 2019 @ 13:21
    Saif Obeidat

How to handle and archive large amount of news, and still be able to get them - Umbraco 8

Hi guys,

We have large amount of data ( 500,000+ ) news and 500GB media. and we intend to migrate them into Umbraco, we did many POC's for this issue, we added more than 40,000 nodes to Umbraco8. and we had some issues :

• The navigation through the backoffice was slow.
    • Saving and publishing the Parent node or any node has large number of children takes a long time.
    • Adding/Changing any documentType property takes a long time as well.
    • Something we expect to happen: displaying news will be very slow, since the cache file would be too large.

We have found some workaround solutions, such as making an archive and move to it the old news in order not to cache the old news .. another solution was to display the active news only in Umbraco backoffice (last three months).

Okay now my questions are :
    - What's your best solution for this issue?, how would you handle it.
    - How to archive old news, knowing that we're using Examine to retrieve nodes.. and we need to have the old news URL's still work?
    - How can we exclude the archive from the Umbraco cache?.
    - How to archive the media as well, since we have large media, we don't want the old media to appear in the Umbraco section.
    <>

Thanks,

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 28, 2019 @ 14:31
    Marc Goodson

Hi Saif

We had a similar issue in V7 for a site and this is how we approached a solution:

https://www.moriyama.co.uk/about-us/news/blog-the-need-for-archived-content-in-umbraco-and-how-to-do-it/

If that helps provide some inspiration, but yes, main gist is News Articles need to be gettable, but not necessarily 'published' as far as Umbraco is concerned.

regards

Marc

• Francis Benyah 35 posts 111 karma points
    Dec 30, 2021 @ 14:58
    Francis Benyah

Hi Saif

Thanks for sharing that article. I have a similar need at the moment however in my case I also need to allow the archived item(s) back into a space where an editor can make changes as well.

So it is not just about serving the last version of the content.

I think for those scenarios where the content does not need to be edited again the approach of storing the xml in a custom table and using the url to retrieve it works really well.

I am at presenting thinking of either making a separate section all together to hold those nodes or having a node in the content section where "old content" can be relocated to and unpublished.

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Mar 07, 2022 @ 22:43
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Francis,

Your solution is the best bet of creating a new section and just doing a move or allowing your editors to Move the articles to hew "archive" section. You will still be taking up that space on your server, but they are still reachable, editable, and gettable.

We did this and then did inventory with the editors that if was anything not needed, they needed to start going to the browser and saving the pages and deleting anything not necessary.

Your other option is to do "Staging" and "Prod" or named whatever, and your staging has all the content that gets pushed to "Prod" and if you needed space on the Prod server, you would just delete the nodes on Prod and keep the staging server as you archive and just have your editors publish in Staging to push to Prod.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft