Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Stein 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 18:19
    James Stein

Umbraco Infrastructure Design

Hello

I am new to Umbraco and CMS for that matter, but have been working in the Web Development Business for 15 years as a developer of web based front ends to Databases and more recently Web parts for Sharepoint. 

I have a new manager that is interested in setting up a CMS to replace our existing Intranet and Extranet web sites.  I am looking into Umbraco as a potential solution.

We have a Web Farm infrastructure that consists of a standalone Dev server, a stand alone Test Server and a production DFS Farm consisting of a root file server and 4 destination production IIS Web Servers.

I'm not sure who your target audience for your documentation is, but it dosn't appear to be me.  I have spent more than an hour going through your documentation and it's just not answering what I think are very simple questions about your product.

What I need to know is what is really happening under the hood?

What is actually happening when someone pushes the Publish button?

What is actually happening when someone visits the site?  

In a Dev to Test to production Web Farm implimentation, what software has to be loaded on each server?

What role does the SQL server play?  Is it used in Production or just Authoring? 

I'm trying to figure out how I would design an Umbraco implimentation that would fit onto our infrastructure.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a network diagram indicating data flow through the process would be a great tool to give my CIO to explain what each part of the system is doing.

Any help in finding this type of information would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 02:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Maybe you can pick up some ideas from the "Architecture picture" thread?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft