Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Hansen 29 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 13:00
    Peter Hansen

Nothing changed... getting 404 without any reason

Hey there,

Running Umbraco umbraco v 4.0.4.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3793.17632) for like two months or so without any problem till now. The site is designed to be my private cv so I dont check back that often. But yesterday I found out that my subpages don't work thought they still exists in the backend. I get the well known 404 error right in my face when trying to browse them. The site is located at www.pixlr.dk and there is only two menues www.pixlr.dk/om.aspx and www.pixlr.dk/cv.aspx and both of them returns 404.

Its a friend of mine who is hosting the webpage - that said, he is very open to install stuff and configure settings locally on my page. I asked him about the error if he had changed anything on the server - installed something new exciting software and he said he didn't touch the server since our last talk (when we implemented the site).

I remember having some problems getting the web.config working while installing umbraco back then so I asked Morten Bock what to do. He suggested downloading the aspnet3.5.config-file, renaming it to web.config and as he said, it worked. This new web.config has worked since.

Since installing the site and getting it up running, an umbraco update dialouge has appeared - I cannot remember if I ran through the update process. But as I remember the site worked fine afterward. But of course I am not sure now that its only subpages that returns 404 and not the main frontpage (that I would look at to determ if site is working or not).

Another thing I remember trying to do, which is only mentioning because everything should be mentioned, is that I tryied implementing my own web user controller and publish it through ftp into the bin-directory. It went okay - and worked, but I went back to my xslt-file for menu generating, so no home made dll-file stuck in the bin-directory.

So the problem is: nothing changed on the server/iis. Nothing changed on the umbraco backend site, - the only thing might be this update dialouge or my own VS ftp-publishing. The fact is I am getting 404s on all subpages, and, oh for the record, on a testpage i installed on www.christel.pixlr.dk i am getting the very same error and I haven't for sure not tried anything like ftp-publishing on that site.

So help me please!

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 13:07
    Tom Maton

You could try the following:

Have you tried re-publishing the the entire site from the home content node?

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Is there anything in your Hostnames?

In the subpages, whats the URL of the page given? eg. Linked Document

These are a possible start.

Tom

Jun 23, 2010 @ 13:18
    Peter Hansen

Hi Tom,

I've re-published the site like 10 times.

About clearing the cache - does restarting the IIS do the job? If so - I've tried that too

Anything in my hostname? letters? :) I dont understand that part.

Are you referring to the 'Link to document' on the Properties-page? - if so

Link to document    /om.aspx

is one of them...

And also.... I cannot remember if the little warning sign in my IE is new. But if I open it shows three errors:

1. ASP.NET Ajax client-side framework failed to load
    editContent.aspx Line 81

2. 'Sys' is undefined
    editContent.aspx   Line: 88
    Code: 0
    URI: http://pixlr.dk/umbraco/editContent.aspx?id=1071

3. 'Sys' is undefined
    editContent.aspx   Line: 370
    Code: 0
    URI: http://pixlr.dk/umbraco/editContent.aspx?id=1071

Jun 23, 2010 @ 16:48
    Peter Hansen

Okay...

A little more investigation: the 404 error seems to come from IIS and not ASP.NET - at least its the old school IIS-404 I get. That tells me that ASP.NET never gets to execute those two pages that gives the 404. My thought about this is that since umbraco uses virtual files and adds the .aspx extension the IIS cannot locate the virtual file and hand it over to ASP.NET to execute them... therefore the IIS returns the 404.

I have tried creating an empty txt-file renaming it to the same name as a virtual file name (like for instance 'cv.aspx'), and uploading it, and now umbraco seems to work very well for that specific page... www.pixlr.dk/cv.aspx actually works now.

I have checked the ISAPI 'Verify that file exists' checkbox for .aspx-extension and it was not checked ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/4c840252-fab7-427e-a197-7facb6649106.mspx?mfr=true ).

Almost there I guess - anyone?

• Qube 74 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 02:56
    Qube

I know you said nothing has changed, but take a look at the Web Service Extensions in IIS. If the ASP.NET extensions aren't allowed, that will cause 404s everywhere.

• ben_a 65 posts 123 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 14:21
    ben_a

Did you upgrade to .net 4.0? You have to enable its web extension if you did.

Jun 27, 2010 @ 19:05
    Peter Hansen

I figured out my hosting friend forgot to tell me he had applied ISAPI URL Rewriter.... so three days of debugging on client side turns out to be a server issue :D

But thanks anyway

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jun 27, 2010 @ 19:52
    Kim Andersen

Hi Peter. Where are you hosting the website? Would be nice to know for future reference. Just if someone are hosted the same place, and sudddently finds some weird issues on their Umbraco solution.

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft