Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott M. Fulton III 19 posts 42 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 18:09
    Scott M. Fulton III

A semi-newcomer's guide to installing Umbraco 4.5 (over 4.0)?

First of all, my congratulations to the Umbraco team on the release this week of version 4.5.  Having recently spent four years as Managing Editor of Betanews, I know full well the difficulties and headaches involved with managing a years-long beta effort.

I'm currently working to build an entirely new news site on what _was_ the latest version of Umbraco, and am a "greenhorn" when it comes to the system (if the Umbraco team were to create an icon especially for me, it would have the "horns" around the "U" in the logo colored green).  I'm delighted to see LINQ 2 Umbraco come to fruition.  Right now, though, I'm partway through getting the new site programmed using the existing XSLT.

Being new, like so many others out here in the world, I need to know how to proceed with respect to moving up to 4.5.  I know the binaries were just released on the 24th, but the process is not self-explanatory.  Although I would be tempted to simply unzip the 4.5 binaries on top of the 4.0 ones, I'm noticing here in the forum that there's pitfalls to doing that, which others are just now experiencing (for instance, using the wrong breed of extraction program, which fails to retain the necessary permissions).

I have virtual servers with which I can experiment with the installation process without danger of losing anything vital; at the moment, the first problem is the lack of an obvious installation procedure for those of us who have joined this process late.  Then the second problem is a lack of preparation for the nature of the changes that will befall us.  I know there are changes to the XML schema, which are reflected in the XPATH indicators used in the XSLT (Warren Buckley has begun pointing out some of those differences).  Folks are noticing these changes now when they try to install the existing 4.0-centric starter packages, like Runway, and finding errors.  These are, I gather, extremely necessary changes; but what would help us at this point is a more comprehensive report (perhaps one was already compiled for the just-completed CodeGarden conference?) of what the changes are, why they were made, and the extent to which we should disregard elements of the existing Umbraco.tv instructional videos that pertain to 4.0.

Eventually, I trust, there will be new versions of Runway and CWS, and an automated Web installer package.  But for now, the 4.5 package is like a box of disassembled Legos; we greenhorns need some kind of pattern to work with to make sense of them, and put them to use and build something with them, even if only experimentally.

I know you've already completed a lot of work, and I look forward to a time when I can be less of a spectator and more of a participant in such efforts.  In the meantime, after you're all rested up from the conference aftermath, I hope you'll be able to provide a README file or something substantive that can get us greenhorns up to speed.  Again, my thanks and congratulations for your hard work to this point.

Yours,

Scott M. Fulton, III

• Dan Thayer 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 20:58
    Dan Thayer

As one that had no problem installing v4.0 through the web installer, I too am having a hard time setting up 4.5.  I have run into several errors that I cannot get passed (posted in different threads) and know that I am not alone.  I step by step manual install guide is very much needed.  Please post a response here, pointing to this guide once one is available.

Thanks!

Dan

• Qube 74 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 26, 2010 @ 04:48
    Qube

Yeah, quite a few issues myself. I read through the 4.1 Feedback forum (4.5 is the cms formerly known as 4.1), which gave me a decent leg up, but I've still hit a few show stoppers.

After successfully upgrading a pretty big umbraco site last night (first successful upgrade!), this morning that same site is completely blank. Logging into the umbraco admin is also blank, inasmuch as I can't see the navigation tree, and the canvas frame is empty in all sections.

For now I'll restore a backup and go back to 4.0. Look forward to seeing these issues get tidied up though.

• Chefdog 5 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 12:08
    Chefdog

Same here, I came across many issues with Umbraco 4.5. Most of them were related with the new schema and some with the installation. I fixed most of them and I am writing down everything on the same site I am buidling with Umbraco 4.5 (http://www.chefdog.com/blog.aspx)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft