Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Williams 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 09:12
    Kevin Williams

Broken Images and Can't Launch Umbraco?

Just downloaded Umbraco 4.5 binaries from Codeplex earlier this evening.  On a clean Windows 7 virtual machine, I installed IIS, Visual Studio 2010, and SQL Server 2008.  I then unzipped Umbraco to a folder, gave Network Service full access to the folder, created a site in IIS pointed to the folder, and ensured the site's app pool was set to .NET 4.0 and Integrated pipeline mode.

I browsed to the /install folder and stepped through the install process.  I did not choose Runway.

After the install completed, I can browse to /umbraco on my site and get the "there's still work to do" message, but all of the images appear broken and clicking the "Launch Umbraco" button does nothing but re-load the page.

Any advice?

Jun 28, 2010 @ 09:15
    Kevin Williams

Tried to edit my above message, but it's failing...  I left out that I did ensure the app pool's identity was also set to Network Service.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 09:15
    Dirk De Grave

Hi, could be a permission issue (altho you've given network service user full control, is that the identity that the app pool runs under?) If you browse to http://domain.com/umbraco/ or http://domain.com/umbraco/login.aspx, do you get to the login screen?

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 10:09
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Kevin, it sounds like the same problem I had.  Its still a permissions issue with the Client Dependency in App_Data. For my case, I just re-applied the permissions for Network Service, making sure that they were set for all child-objects/folders too.

Right-click your root Umbraco folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Change Permissions... > check the "Replace all child object permissions [...]".

Press OK / Apply and that "should" sort out the problem.

Cheers, Lee.

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 12:07
    Lee Kelleher

Just installed a clean version of Umbraco 4.5 on my local dev machine (Windows 7 / IIS 7.5 / .NET 4.0 AppPool) .. and got the same problem, (again), but it wasn't Network Service that I had to set, it was the IIS_IUSRS group that needed Modify permission on the App_Data folder.  Not sure if that's a bug or intended with Client Dependency, but it resolved the problem.

Cheers, Lee.

Jun 30, 2010 @ 06:32
    Kevin Williams

Not at all sure why, but switching back to the application pool identity instead of network service fixed all of my issues.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft