Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sajid Riaz 142 posts 165 karma points
    Jul 02, 2010 @ 10:17
    Sajid Riaz

how to Move umbraco site from dev pc to hosting environment

Hi Guys,

I've just completed an umbraco site on my laptop.  I want to move the site to my hosting company.

How do I do it?  I mean do i just back up my local db and restore to to new db on hosts db and just ftp the umbraco site from my laptop to hosting space?  or do i have to reinstall umbraco on hosting space using WPI and redo my site on hosting environment?

thanks for your time

Sajid 

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Jul 02, 2010 @ 10:43
    Magnus Eriksson

I've never used the WPI but I always do:

• Restore dev db to hosting server
    • Copy/FTP wwwroot files (excluding the install folder)
    • Change whatever needs to be changed in web.config (usually only the connection string)

Regards,
    Magnus

Jul 02, 2010 @ 10:53
    Sajid Riaz

Ah ok so quite a simple solution then.  Do i need to set any permissions up on hosting directory i.e. allowing network service permission on folders etc?

but otherwise just copy the umbraco folder from my laptop to host location? 

I installed umbraco on c:\umbraco1.  So I copy all contents of c:\umbraco1 folder to wwwroot on my hosting space?

thanks again for your time

sajid

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Jul 02, 2010 @ 11:04
    Magnus Eriksson

Yes, you would need to set the file permissions, forgot to mention that.

I usually copy all the files/folders to the host location (excluding the install folder), and then set the correct file permissions.

Here you can read about the file permissions: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista/configure-iis-website

Regards,
    Magnus

Jul 02, 2010 @ 12:43
    Sajid Riaz

Hey there,

just read the link in last post.  I dont think i have access to wwwroot folder.  I am on a shared hosting platform.

but i will copy my local umbracofolder install to ftp location htdocs and see what happens.

thanks again will update my progress soo.

sajid

Jul 04, 2010 @ 18:05
    Sajid Riaz

Hi,

Ok I've Managed to install umbraco onto hosting environment.  Functionality wise I can add templates, but cannot save or delete.

I can add xslt but cannot save or delete.  I can add doc types but cannot delete.

Does any one have an idea on this?  Does the hosting provide need to set permissions or something?

sajid

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 04, 2010 @ 18:13
    Ian Smedley

Sounds as though the write access isn't enabled by default by the hosting provider, which is strange, I've usually found that it is, perhaps there is a setting in your hosting control panel somewhere, to enable write access to these folders, as mentioned above.

Jul 04, 2010 @ 18:27
    Sajid Riaz

in the file manager of my control panel i set allow network service to wwwroot and subfolders.  but still as above will not save.

quite starnge as I can add but jut saving the above will not happen.  i.e. click save button but no save message. and no save.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 04, 2010 @ 21:38
    Dirk De Grave

you need to find out what user the application pool associated with the iis site is running under, that user needs full control on the umbraco installation folders/subfolders. It can be network service, but doubt that would be the case in shared hosting environments.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Jul 05, 2010 @ 12:32
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Guys,  Thanks for yr replies.

Unfortunately no fix yet.

I have dedicated pool and been given full control.  but save still does not save. 

Jul 05, 2010 @ 15:13
    Sajid Riaz

Hi guys thanks for all yr replies.  got it fixed.

added dedicated pool and also chaged asp integrated to asp on my control panel.

again many thanks

Sajid

• Giorgos Grispos 145 posts 179 karma points
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 18:56
    Giorgos Grispos

Any  ideas why there is an erroron that path, I just moved it from one website to another website within the same IIS

DependencyHandler.axd?s=L3VtYnJhY29fY2xpZW50L3BhbmVsL3N0eWxlLmNzczsvdW1icmFjb19jbGllbnQvc2Nyb2xsaW5nbWVudS9zdHlsZS5jc3M7L3VtYnJhY29fY2xpZW50L3VpL2RlZmF1bHQuY3NzOw%3d%3d&t=Css&cdv=1

The error is

404 - File or directory not found.

Any idea guys, teh front end comes fine while teh back end floats left with many files missing.

Thanks

Giorgos

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft