Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan 54 posts 74 karma points
    Jul 06, 2010 @ 11:40
    Jan

Umbraco and multiple websites and domains

hello there

i am currently helping some people making two different websites.

they are both on my umbraco on my localhost.

i now come to the point where i have to find a webhotel for this.

and i came across unoeuro.com and it seems to be able to handle umbraco.
    but!

can i run two different websites off one umbraco or does it need a differnent root folder and database for each? ? ?

i have never published a website/database - and am as green as they can possibly be in that regard

any pointers helpfull hints would be much appreciated.

• Matt Brailsford 4123 posts 22194 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jul 06, 2010 @ 12:02
    Matt Brailsford

Umbraco can host multiple websites under one install, but it's only advised for related sites within the same company / organisation. If the sites aren't related in any way, I would host them under seperate accounts.

When it comes to deployment, it's a bit dificuilt to give you a step by step guide, as every host is different, but it's usually only a case of uploading all the files in you web folder to the servers site root, creating the new database on the server and either copy or restore the data from your local database, then update settings in your web.config for the live server (connection string and smtp if you send emails).

Hope that helps

Matt

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 06, 2010 @ 12:52
    Dirk De Grave

As with any host, the most difficult part is getting the website running as soon as you've uploaded the website (the complete website as is now on your localhost) and the database (probably using backup/restore strategy). Keep following notes in mind:

- Copying the complete site using ftp may break existing permission settings. So, if you're copying using ftp, make sure to reset permissions on the umbraco root folder (you know... give the app pool identity user enough permission rights on the umbraco folders)

- If you're using zip archives to upload and unzip the umbraco installation on the server, be sure not to use the built-in windows zip/unzip feature as it seems to leave some locked files which cause your website to go woosh (eg. use winrar or 7-zip instead)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 16:14
    Jonathan Roberts

Hi,

Im sorry for the strange question but if I were to have three websites that have different domain names all working from the same Umbraco CMS would this have any impact on their Google rankings? Would each site respond correctly in relation to SEO etc?

Many thanks

Jon

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 21:23
    Mark Bennett

Jon,

I am currently setting up a single Umbraco system with multiple domains / hostnames. Google will just see them as different domains and it will not impact on any rankings. Each site will be seen as a completely seperate site and will have no knock on effect on SEO. The fact that you can template your document types / make content mandatory in my opinion helps control SEO on a site.

Mark.

P.S - might be worth raising it as a new thread next time rather than resurrecting old threads ;)

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    May 01, 2015 @ 09:22
    Jonathan Roberts

Many thanks for your reply - it really helps. I never get this Forum etiquette - one minute people are moaning about duplicate threads the next minute they are moaning about resurrecting old threads. Is there a Forum rule book that I can read? I doubt it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft