Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eddie Foreman 215 posts 288 karma points
    Jul 07, 2010 @ 16:09
    Eddie Foreman

Develop on open source version, then upgrade to pro?

Hi All

Just a quick question, I'm currently starting on a new Umbraco project.  At present it is undecided if the open soucre or pro version will be used.

To date, I've always used the open source version, and wanted to check if it's better to develop on the correct version, or is a staright forwarded enough process to update to the pro version at a later date. Possibly when moving from the staging to production server?

Thanks

Eddie

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 07, 2010 @ 16:16
    dandrayne

Hi Eddie,

As far as I'm aware the open and pro editions are one and the same - with pro you get support from the core team and some extra handy tools that could come in useful for deployment/migration.

Hope this helps,
    Dan

Jul 07, 2010 @ 17:02
    Eddie Foreman

Hi Dan

Definitly, suppose I just wanted to make sure before starting the install process.  It was just the ability to reskin and the commerical license options, that I thought you maybe supplied with a different set of files.

Thanks

Eddie

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 07, 2010 @ 17:03
    dandrayne

As of version 4.5, all of umbraco (including the backend) is MIT licensed so the backend can be reskinned without a pro license.

I'd still recommend one though, especially if your client can absorb the cost.

Jul 07, 2010 @ 17:37
    Eddie Foreman

Hi Dan

Didn't know that you could reskin 4.5 without the need for a pro license.  Very useful.

Thanks again

Eddie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft