Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 08, 2010 @ 15:03
    Tim

"Could not create type" / missing code behind files?

I'm trying to build Umbraco 4.5 on win7 64 bit in VS Express 2010. The install itself work nicely. I've unpacked the binaries in the root of my website. I've completed the install and Umbraco is running nicely. But when I open the website in Visual Studio I can't compile. I get a "Could not create type 'umbracoTags.webservice.tagService'" compilation error. Which seems logical since I don't have any code behind files..

Probably something obvious I'm missing here..

• Yovav Gad 41 posts 62 karma points
    Jul 08, 2010 @ 20:30
    Yovav Gad

I have the same problem,

I just excluded the two missing web services

(it's probably missing from the bin DLLs)

But now there is a new problem - I wasn't able to run the web application

Server Error in '/U' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parser Error
    Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: There can be only one 'master' directive.

Source Error:

Line 2: 
    Line 3:  <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    Line 4:  <%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    Line 5:  <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    Line 6: 

Source File: /U/masterpages/RunwayMaster.master    Line: 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2010 @ 21:07
    Niels Hartvig

Umbraco is distributed as binaries (a web APPLICATION - not a web SITE). You don't need to open it in Visual Studio nor need to compile them. It's already done - that's why you get these error messages :)

• Eric 2 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 21:23
    Eric

I am running into the same problem.

While I realize that I don't NEED to use Visual Studio for Umbraco's binary distribution, there are people who use Visual Studio has their main IDE.  For me, it's a no brainer as I have the MSDN subscription.

Instead of asking the developer to go through a few extra steps to get it working, how easy it is to make it work out of the box for the Visual Studio users?

• Amigo 243 posts 568 karma points
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 10:31
    Amigo

i also wonder why.... its not good for us VS users.....
    is there a solution to get umbraco to build correctly in VS?

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Jan 25, 2011 @ 17:48
    Brendan Rice

I think I have found a happy medium for this.

Problem - Umbraco complains when you try to compile it in Visual Studio but people want it as part of the VS solution.

Solution - Right click solution > properties > configuration properties > configuration > uncheck the umbraco website from the debug & release compiler flags

Hope this helps.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 23:46
    Funka!

I have opened a site that was installed from binaries in Visual Studio, and get the same errors trying to debug that others have noted. However I have opened this as a web site, not as a project in a solution, so I can't apply Brendan's suggestion---or at least I haven't found where in my case to do this.

I was just looking for a convenient way to open up an existing site, make a few changes (e.g., I am trying to add an MVC controller) and hit F5 to test. I'm probably being a dummy here in terms of how to make this work. Perhaps I am supposed to be developing new stuff in a separate project, and build/copy back to my website when done for testing? I haven't really found any good advice for how people are doing this "in the trenches" and when not working with full source, such as in an already-launched website. (For example, where are people storing their controller code?) How can I apply custom routes?

I'll try creating a new solution and adding the site as a separate project next. I hope to eventually figure this all out!

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 00:11
    Funka!

To anyone else finding this with the same problem, I ended up just using WebMatrix instead of VS and shoving all of my code into the magic App_Code folder. I ran out of time trying to make things work the way I thought they should have. Will maybe try later, but for now, I at least was able to get what I needed done.

Thx!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft