Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 15, 2010 @ 01:19
    North Krimsly

Installing 4.5 Webdeploy

Greetings all,

It looks like the 4.5 Webdeploy download is a semi-automated installer for Umbraco 4.5.  Unfortunately, I don't see any instructions for what should be done with the webdeploy files.  Can someone point me to some documentation on how to use th 4.5 Webdeploy to install Umbraco on a shared hosting provider? Or, perhaps that is not what the download is meant for?

Thanks,

-NorthK

• Nate Pickett 13 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 09, 2010 @ 16:37
    Nate Pickett

I would appreciate documentation or explanation on this also.

Thanks! -Nate

• Davyne Bradley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 28, 2010 @ 00:04
    Davyne Bradley

HI, I have the same question.

I've installed php/mysql deployments, but am new to asp and asp.net

I'm on a hosted Windows server.

I've uploaded the web deploy version and decompressed on the server to the directory of a subdomain, but the usual (php-style) path (http://domain-name/umbraco/install/default.aspx to start the config & setup process generates runtime errors.  I"ve also tried simlar paths in config, etc...  (typical php is to upload, run install, then immediately delete the install files once set up). I realize there is a different thought process.. but I havne't yet been able to figure it out.

I've read where you can install Cassini on the local computer.  I'm wondering if I need to do this, then once I"ve setup the configuration, zip  the resulting folder/file heirachy, and upload and decompress to the hosted server.  Then once I'm uploaded, what link do I have to then admin the site?

This seems like such a basic step and I've been unable to find any documentation on the instructions for hosted providers. I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to install any software on my computer; but rather upload all the files and configure it on the hosted server. If I can get past this basic step, I'll be in goood shape.

• Eran 292 posts 436 karma points
    Oct 23, 2010 @ 00:11
    Eran

i would like also to know for what exactly the webdeploy version and how exactly to use it? (i guess is for installation without the gui)

• Eran 292 posts 436 karma points
    Nov 14, 2010 @ 00:31
    Eran

is anyone can provide details?..

Thanks

• ZiadJ 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 18:56
    ZiadJ

I've had a really hard time figuring out how I should go about deploying Umbraco on a shared hosting and I guess I'm giving it all up. Really don't understand all the hype about Juno being targeted towards new users when the such rudimentaries are not even available.

• Heather Floyd 604 posts 1002 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 25, 2011 @ 22:10
    Heather Floyd

Try using the MS Platform installer locally, then FTP'ing the files, and transferring the DB to your shared hosting:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

or try Web Matrix, which willhelp you with the "publishing":

http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft