Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• elspiko 133 posts 302 karma points
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 13:48
    elspiko

Users unable to login to admin remotely

Hi,

I'm having really strange problems on one of our client's servers. I've just copied the website to their server without any problems. They can browse the site no problem, but editors cannot login to the umbraco back end.

When I'm logged into the server I can login to umbraco and everything is ok. But when I try and access the site from my machine, whilst I can browse the site fine (and Members are even able to login), Umbraco Users cannot login the backend

Its version 4.0.2.1

Its really urgent so any help would be great!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 13:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

What is the error message that you're getting when logging in? It's probably got something to do with differences in the authentication settings in IIS (difference between your dev and server environment).

I generally have Anon authentication and Forms Auth enabled. ASP.NET impersonation, Basic Auth, Windows Auth are off.

Jul 16, 2010 @ 14:00
    elspiko

Hi Sebastiaan,

I'm not getting any error, it just redirects back to the login page after I click login

Cheers

Jul 16, 2010 @ 14:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Did you check the IIS authentication options?

Are you sure the web.config is (almost) the same as on your dev machine (particularly: are passwords either hashed or not on both environments)?

If there's still no errors and all this seems fine, check the umbracoLog table and the windows event log.

Jul 16, 2010 @ 15:01
    elspiko

The IIS authenitcations options are the same, and i've just transferred the web.config across again and changed the necessary options and still I can't login remotely.

The UmbracoLog table notes that there has been a login event, but there are no messages. The Event Logs don't show any errors or information that could relate to the login

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 15:09
    Ismail Mayat

Rich,

Are all the permissions correct on the folders i would recheck and propogate down just to be sure.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 16, 2010 @ 15:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Alright, in that case, make sure that permissions are set correctly (try Chris' permission script just to make sure you cuaght everything!)

Edit: Hehe Ismail beat me to it!

Jul 16, 2010 @ 16:14
    elspiko

Guys,

I've double checked the permissions, but its not a permissions issue as I can access the backend when remotely accessing the client's server, its only externally (e.g. from my machine) I cannot log in to umbraco.

Thanks

Jul 16, 2010 @ 17:08
    elspiko

Although I've discovered I am able to login via firefox....

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 17:43
    Ismail Mayat

Rich,

Whats the proxy setting in firefox may be thats the issue?  Also does it work with chrome / safari?

Regars

Ismail

• glenatron 37 posts 132 karma points
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 12:37
    glenatron

Weird, I have just seen exactly the same problem three years later with - I can't remotely access the admin system with Chrome but IE seems fine. Doubly weirdly, after I accessed the admin system with IE, it worked in Chrome too, so apparently some kind of transient deployment problem...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft